• In the Spotlight:

Do you think Obama being the 1st black president brought about racial issues in America that were getting better, and now are turning the other way?

Watching tv, there was a black rapper on there singing about "my president's black, so all you whities better step back", and such lyrics.

With that said, it seems like since Obama began to run for president, now everythings about race. Not saying it's Obama's fault, but the mentality of America.

It seems as though we are taking steps back in the fight against racism.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Racism will always exist, it knows no color.

The "racism" of today is way overblown. The term has strayed far from its original definition. Today is used regularly to describe simple disagreement. Many people have been labeled racists that are not. I am one of them. I have never been racist. One of my mentor's is an awesome and wonderful black woman. One of the most treasured persons from my childhood was hispanic. I am now labeled racist becasue I disagree with the policies of the president, the one who happens to be black..well also white..we just don't hear about that..

It is silly. Using the term in the wrong way lessens the real meaning of it. The lessening will only serve to increase real racism.

BO doesn't help things when throws the race card and refuses to rein in others that do.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• No, I think these issues have always been there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Oct. 8, 2009

• No both sides White and Blacks are taught to hate. This issue has always been there and It will always be there. Hate is rooted in to deep.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• People seem to forget he is as black as he is white!
    Anonymous

• I tend to agree with gammie.however I do think that some was brought out more yes..with SOME people..

I agree FULLY with gammie that it will always exist my reasoning? HUMAN NATURE its simple
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• A big problem is how the term "racism" is being thrown around (it happens ALL THE TIME, even here on CafeMom). Here is a great video commentary that talks about this--it's just 5 minutes long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_qBPYfc59I

lori9878

Answer by lori9878 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• President Obama is a bi-racial man that happens to have the features of a black man. That said, I think the racial issue is one that gets blown up by people that are looking to blame the past for their lives now. as you see, none of the folks using race were ever slaves nor did they have slaves. if the president is at fault for anything, it would be to stop always apologizing for the past and for not showing a sense of pride for the united states and its people.
    Anonymous

• It's been there lurking all the time. However, there was a time where people who thought that way did a better job at hiding or covering up their racism. Oh, and when we get our first black president let me know, cuz I coulda swore he was a multi-racial man - meaning man of many races.

BTW, do you happen to know the name of the artist or the song title I'd be interested in knowing just who and what crap to avoid in the near future.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• He may be biracial, but maybe he identifies with his african american side more than his white side? I know biracial kids who identify more with being white, I know white kids who identify more with being african american. And I know african american kids who identify more with white people. If a person who looked like Barack Obama carjacked you, would you say the tall black man or would you say the tall biracial man?
    Anonymous

• I would say the tall biracial man. More descriptive and gives the authorities a better chance of catching the person instead of harassing someone else who was not involved in the crime at t'all.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2009