We get it! You are all for UHC!

So answer this question: How will it be paid for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• So far, they will cut Medicare, tax employers of over 50 employees, tax pharmaceuticals and makers of medical devices(wiich will be higher costs for those of us who use the services) Tax so called Cadilac plans and the best of all, "other methods" I think thats where the sin taxes etc comes in.

Of course this is just one bill and they have to marry a House and Senate bill which will undoubtedly rais the costs more leaving the need to find even more money to make it deficit neutral.
    In the end, we will pay for it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• First, I am not for the healthcare reform. Second, it will be paid for by the taxpayers. There is no way around that.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Quote: The measure would be paid for through a variety of tax increases and spending cuts, including savings of hundreds of billions of dollars from Medicare, the federal health care program for seniors.

Beginning in 2013, Americans would be required to get health insurance, through an employer or a government program or by buying it themselves. Failure to obey the requirement would result in penalties of up to $750 per family.

Anonymous

• I'm not for UHC, and that is not what Obama is proposing. I am for HCR, but NOT the plan that Obama is proposing. And no, I don't think we can afford to reform health care without huge tax increases. We need huge tax increases just to cover the cost of our currently government, not including paying down our over-blown deficit. However, huge tax increases will only further the recession.

There is no positive answer to this question. What good is health care if you can't afford food or shelter? PA and unemployment are currently straining our resources. Medicare and SS are struggling, and we have an aging population. Unemployment is going up. That means the tax-paying population is going down. It's possible the war will be expanding, increasing our expenditures.

*sigh* It's all pretty depressing, isn't it?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Medicare savings? Nope, it's medicare CUTS, amounting to nearly the whole budget for next year. TAXES on all medical equipment over $100.00, breast pumps, walkers, wheelchairs, nebulizers, etc.
    Taxpayers will pay for it, just like we do everything else, but what good is it, it won't go into effect in time to do any of us any good anyway, and by the time it does, do you really believe this money will be available for "said" purpose, I don't, the gov't is desperate for money, so this is just a way for them to get it, jmo...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It's not UHC, it is HRC and it will be paid for with transfer of funding from already existing programs. What about that don't you get?
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 1:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• LOL PsWifey, paid for by transfering funding from existing programs! Medicare is BROKE, there is no money to transfer! Surcharges, taxes, levies and fines are NOT funds from existing programs, they are dollars taken from the pockets of the American people.

The "cadillac" policies they are planning to get money from will disappear almost overnight. These policies don't belong to the wealthy, they belong to the middle class...that didn't even realize they had a cadillac plan! These are the plans used by unions, city, county, state and federal employees. This whopping tax will effect the school bus drive, the lunchroom lady, teachers, city garbage collectors, your mailman....

More medical equipment is sold to the middle class than any other. This tax will put an additional burden on the already fixed income elderly and on the disabled. What person in their right mind taxes the disabled?

You don't get it!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• "it will be paid for with transfer of funding from already existing programs."

Won't the people who benefit from those funds suffer if they are taken away? And if there is currently waste in those programs, why wait for HCR to eliminate it? Not to mention, if that is THAT much waste in current government programs, do we really want the government to be in charge?

If I hired a money manager who did a bad job of managing my funds, I'd fired him/her, not give him/her MORE money to manage.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Remember the saying: "there is no free lunch". And-you can't get something for nothing. It just depends on how important good health is to you.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• But Lindalu2, lots of people think this is a free lunch. My health is important to me, that is why my family doesn't use Tricare. We pay out of pocket for private insurance. We shouldn't have to do that. Medical care is supposed to be one of the benefits of my husbands job. We can't depend on the govt run care though. I have a special needs child, I can't months for a referral or have his services interrupted because someone new takes over his case and wants us to start all over with evals and dx testing. I don't want to wait 6 months the next time a mammogram finds a suspcious spot and I need breast surgery. I did that TWICE with Tricare. Thankfully both times the lumps were benign.

My family is paying out the wazoo, but it is our CHOICE to do so. I don't want anyone fooling with the care we are getting now. The plan on the table will, it is going to add a fat tax to my policy.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2009