fruit flies--help

my kitchen is getting overrun with fruit flies--i don'/t have any fruit in the house--but i do know are attracted to sweets to--i have tried a few methods i saw online-vineger, put a fruit in a jar with plastic wrap and holes--but nothing is working---anyone else have any suggestions.

jdmyangel

Asked by jdmyangel at 12:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I got a new catalog the other day that has fruit fly traps in it. They are kind of pricey and I don't know that they work. We've tried everything we know, and we can't get rid of them until after the weather turns cold. Then they disappear.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I know this probably isn't the right way to go about it, but I had fruit flies also. I got them from the grocery store in a bag of onions. A couple month ago I had a few ants and had bought some raid spray for ants, I sprayed them like crazy and threw the onions out and I haven't seen any since.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• had a problem with the vinegar in the jar method too- until i figured out WHY it wasn't working.
    A) you must use apple cider vinegar
    B) you must use nothing larger than a toothpick to poke about 100 holes in the plastic wrap
    C) you MUST use a rubber band to tightly secure the plastic wrap around the mouth of the jar

if you do those things, it'll work. you'll need about 6 jars places in open areas in the kitchen (or wherever they are) it will work, if you give it a chance.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• We get fruit flies every fall. This works best
    Fruit Fly Trap
    1 quart jar
    1 piece of paper, rolled up into a funnel
    tape
    apple cider vinegar
    small slice of banana
    Fill a quart jar with a 1/2 inch of apple cider vinegar and a small piece of banana. Roll up your paper into a funnel shape (larger at the top) and tape it in place. Place the funnel into your jar and make sure all the edges are secured shut with tape. You may have to adjust the size of your funnel to make sure it fits nicely into your jar. Place the jar where the fruit flies are flying around and let it go to work. You will be amazed at how well this trap works. The fruit flies will smell the fruit and climb inside, but for some odd reason they don’t fly back up the funnel to get out. When you have caught a good supply, place the entire jar in the freezer overnight. Repeat until they are gone.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I didn't have much like with apple cider vinegar, but caught them like crazy when I switched to red wine vinegar with a drop or two of dishsoap mixed in. I just put out a small bowl of the vinegar/soap mix and let them drown themselves. They were all gone within about a week and I haven't seen any since. Oh, and I did get rid of all the fruit & veggies I had on the counters, moving them into the refrigerator if they were still good, plus I wiped down all of my counters & cabinets with a mix of white vinegar & water - for just in case.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009