Anyone have a good meatloaf recipe? I want to try something different!

NadiaAnn

Asked by NadiaAnn at 12:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Mine's pretty standard but here it is:

Ground meat (beef, turkey, whatever you prefer)
    Lipton onion soup mix
    1 egg
    Breadcrumbs
    Garlic powder
    Salt & pepper

Sauce:
    Mostly ketchup
    Light mustard
    A few tablespoons brown sugar

Mix the meatloat ingredients, set in pan. Spread sauce on meatloaf. Bake for 1 hour at 350 or til cooked thoroughly.

Sometimes I add a little bit of ketchup into the meat mix as well. Sorry but I don't have the correct measurements, I always eyeball everything.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Sorry I never use a recipe but how I usually make it is

meat
    egg (s)
    I use crushed stuffing mix for more flavor
    chopped onions
    carrots
    chopped fresh parsley
    chopped garlic
    basil
    oregano
    thyme
    ketchup
    chilli powder

sprinkle cheese on top.

Not a bland meatloaf at all.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 2:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I don't really use a recipe either, just kind of wing it.
    Mine has:
    hamburger
    onion soup mix
    saltine crackers
    milk
    eggs
    salt & pepper
    and the secret ingredient: A1 steak sauce

I'd have to think about the exact amounts. I usually make 3lbs and put 2lbs in the meatloaf pan and separate the other pound into a cupcake pan (they cook faster and the kids love meatloaf cupcakes, lol). Then I cover the top with A1 and sprinkle with onion soup mix. Now I want meatloaf.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I don't have a real recipe, but this is what I make sometimes when I'm in a rush to get dinner on the table:

1 lb. ground beef
    1 bottle Heinz Chili Sauce (you can also use any brand of catsup)
    some type of breadcrumb (I've used rice breadcrumbs, matzo meal, even leftover cooked rice in a pinch)

Add the jar of chili sauce to the ground meat, keeping about a 1/4 cup in reserve. Then add enough of the breadcrumbs to the meat mixture to make a sticky, but not dry, loaf. It should basically just hold together on its own. Place the meatloaf into your pan, then spread the reserved sauce on top of the loaf.

Bake the meatloaf in a 375 degree oven for about an hour or until cooked through.

It's a nice & simple, kid-friendly recipe.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My new thing is taking the traditional recipe but using a smokey bbq sauce instead of the ketchup.....I love it, and my whole family is now in love with meatloaf as much as I always have been. By far, it is the best comfort food :)
    lynda_dora

Answer by lynda_dora at 11:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I got a recipe off of America's Test Kitchen and my family went wild over it.
    Use 1 lb ground sirloin and 1 lb ground chuck, this makes for a veal like texture.
    saute sm onion, a stalk of celery minced and 1/2 clove garlic minced in a little bit of oil
    add to beef, add 15 saltine crackers mashed into crumbs with rolling pin
    2 eggs
    2 T tomato paste
    1tsp dijon mustard
    1tsp worsteshire sauce
    and the secret to moist meatloaf...1/2 tsp knox gelitan powder
    mix all together.
    place an oven proof cooling rack on a cookie sheet that has been lined with foil. The cooling rack allows grease to go to bottom and not stay in your meatloaf. Then on cooling rack make a bread pan sized tripple layer rectangle of foil. Mold meat mixture into loaf shape on rectangle. Bake for 1 hr at 350. Then coat loaf with 1tsp apple cider vin, 1/4 c katsup and 1/4 c brwn sugar. bake for 15 mins more. It is the best we ever had!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:43 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• My recipe is different and ridiculously easy. It was my Gramma's. My DH swore me to secrecy and told me that my meatloaf was better than his Mom's. LOL
    1 # ground beef
    1/2 # bulk sausage- we like spicy, but mild is great too
    chopped onion-we like 1 small, but it works just as well with a large onion as my Mom likes
    1 tsp of poultry seasoning- the secret meatloaf weapon
    You can top with ketchup, if you like it, but it's great without it. Depends on your taste.

Another thing that makes it really great is to put small red skins around the meatloaf in a 9x13 pan. My Gramma used the really fatty beef that would ooze with grease and essentially fry your potatoes with the meatloaf. It is DELICIOUS, but not heart/fat healthy at all. I use very lean ground beef and just give the taters a light toss with olive oil.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2009