Where does a Gods "power" truly come from?

I always imagined a God would be so allmighty and powerful, simply because they are a God. By it's very definition, God means "a perfect Being in power, wisdom and goodness."
Their very existance would constitute their being a God, and would possess these attributes regardless of anyone's "faith" in them.
If your God requires a humans faith in them, then doesn't the power of a God lie within you? And without you, your God ceases to exist? Or is he/she/it there, regardless of your faith?
Does that mean there are other Gods in existance that humans have not yet become to believe in yet....and how can we know for sure?!

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is why I am an agnostic. If humans didn't believe in these "gods" they would cease to exist. But that's JMO.

BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I do not pretend to be able to quote from the bible, but I DO have a complete belief in God, that Jesus is His son and my Savior. He does not exist because I believe, nor does He gain power from my belief.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 12:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• " He does not exist because I believe, nor does He gain power from my belief. "

If you were the ONLY person who believed in this God, would that make him less powerful and all-mighty?
    Why do christians feel they have to "recruit" so many others in order for this God to exist?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I am a Christian, and my God has always existed regardless of what people believe. He says that He is the only God, and there is no other God. "I am the LORD, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though you have not acknowledged me." Isaiah 45:5

He is all powerfull. And yes His power lives inside of me. It is not subject to my will though, it is always subject to His will. It isn't just His power that lives inside of me; it is Him. In Luke, Jesus tells His disciples that the indwelling of the Holy Spirit will give them "power from on high." Paul tells Timothy, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (1 Tim. 1:7).

But we also believe that there is another power at work in the lives of people who don't believe in God, "the mighty prince of the power of the air. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God."
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Something cannot exist to an individual unless you know some word or name to describe him/she/it. Whoever is reading this, think of a person you know by name. That person doesn't exist in my world when I'm typing this because I don't know her name, how you know her, or anything about her or you (well, okay, you're on CM, but that's all I got). I live my life in complete ignorance that this person exists in this world. That doesn't mean she does not exist at all, but she doesn't exist for me until you tell me her name, something about her, or something about you so she exists in my mind.

Once I know a god's name, that doesn't mean I believe that god is real. I just know that somebody identified a god by that name. I know there is a Jesus that exists for millions of people. If a person had never heard of Jesus, he would not exist in that person's world.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I don't believe he exist because of me, I believe that I exist because of him. In my belief he is the Alpha and Omega.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I agree with what Cinnimon and MaryJane have said. God is God with our without me or any other human. God existed before Adam and Eve, before creation. The phrase in Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God".  That tells you God existed before creation. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If God always existed, and always will exist....why are people so upset with God being "denied" by others in our society? God is still there, right? God is still all powerful, right?
    What is this obsession with having others acknowledge the existance of their God? Either God is there or he isn't....regardless of humans belief in him or not.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• holy spirit
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 1:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• People invented gods. All the 'power' they seem to think comes from gods comes from themselves only they are too weak-minded and fearful to entertain the thought.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009