How do you "work" Halloween (if you celebrate, of course)

What I mean is, if you take your child trick-or-treating, does one parent stay behind to hand out candy to other trick-or-treaters or do you go out for a while and hand out candy when you get back, or what?

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Normally we all just go out trick or treating. we are on a military base, but we are in older housing, so not many people come trick or treating around this area. We all go over to the new housing area to trick or treat there!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Well, this will be our first year! Leila will be old enough this year, so we are going to hand out candy together. Last year she was only 3 months old, so I turned off the outside light and hid in the house. I don't know what I'll do about the dogs though. I guess I'll have to lock them up in the bathroom and keep the curtains open so I can see them coming before they ring the bell....don't want the dogs barking all night long.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• When I was a kid, we lived in the country & went into town to trick-or-treat. My parents never passed out candy because no one drives the countryside looking for it. We're in the boondocks again, so we'll take our son into town where most of the homes & businesses pass out candy. Then they have a party at the fire station.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• We live in a subdivision that doesn't get any kids. So we head up to my inlaws, which is in the country. We have a couple of dozen houses that we go to that are friends of the family. Most of them are older couples who knew my husband growing up, and they all love to see our children. They don't get many T-R-Treaters so they always give out ziplock bags full of treats (not all candy, toys and money!) and Mom and Dad always get their treats also. It's all people that we know and who look forward to us every year. They know our route by now and start calling each other to find out where we are!
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 12:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• First off we all dress up LOL. I stay at home with the babies and pass out candy while the hubs takes the oldest 2 around the neighborhood.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 12:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My kids are young, so we all go out as a family at the very beginning of trick or treating. We come home early and hand out candy for the rest of the allotted time.
    Anonymous

• We dress our kids up and take them to trick or treat at relatives houses then come home. If anyone is still out, we give out candy.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I volunteer nearly every night at our local Jaycees Haunted House, so naturally Halloween is one of our busiest nights. Dh usually takes dd trick-or-treating while I pass out candy, when they come home we all head to the House. I leave the bowl of leftover candy on the front porch with a funny sign every year, usually it says, "Please only take 1 or 2, better look out, I'm watching you!" Believe it or not every year there is still candy in the bowl, and we get LOTS of kids!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 1:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My dad always took us while my mom stayed behind to pass out candy. For the past coulple yrs we have not passed out candy because both of us go with our little ones. We will pass it out when they are older, but right now they are 3 and4 and it takes both of us to watch them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009