Could the Epidurial delay the delivery?

I have 2 children. With my first I had the Epidural and it took 8 hours to deliver the baby.
With my second I said "no thanks" to the Epidural and I felt "everything" specially when the baby was coming out.
Do you thing that the Epidural inhibits the ability for a woman to have a quick and "normal" delivery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With baby #1 my uterus was still numb when I started pushing but I could feel the "ring of fire" and him being born (the pain in my vagina) From the time it was determined I was 10cm to the time he was born, it was only 14 minutes (that included getting the midwife & breaking down the bed)

with baby #2 I was TOTALLY 100% numb and couldnt feel ANYTHING! From the time it was determined I was 10cm to the time she was born, it was only 9 minutes! As she was crowning I was saying "I am not doing anything, this is going to take forever" and then my midwife told me to "Be quiet, reach down and pull out your daughter" It was kinda funny

I think that the pushing process has to do with what station the baby is at more than anything. Both of mine were at +2 station when I started to push so there wasnt really any work to be done. I think that pushing (like going poop) is natural and you shouldnt have to feel it to do it
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• it can, imo. many women have epidurals and have no trouble delivering. but in many other cases, it stalls labor, or makes it harder to push :) gl
    Anonymous

• Epidurals can slow down contractions, making labor last longer. Because of that it increases the risk of a c/s.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Yep. I think the confinement caused by the side-effects & all the stuff you're hooked up to (iv lines & catheter stuff), causes a lag in labor. You're putting something into your body that messes with the natural flow of events and you're unable to move around & let gravity help. No drugs for me or my little one!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I've heard from other people that it has but not mine. I was in labor a total of 3 1/2 hours with my DS. I got my epidural at the last possible minute, pushed for 15 minutes and that was it. Didn;t stall mine one bit but everyone is different.
    Anonymous

• IMHO I think it can. I have one child that I had "naturally" without any pain meds, moving about freely, etc., it took me LESS than 4hrs to labor and deliver him (from start to finish).

any kind of interventions can potentially slow labor. a relaxed labor is usually a quick one--and for some that can be with or without the epi. some women just can't handle the pain and are more tense without the epi..so they get it and can finally relax. for some laboring naturally is relaxing...just depends on the woman on what could potentially slow labor. :)
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• carlie I'm with you on this one!

Women should be prepare mentally and physically for labor. I just don't understand why Insurance Companies won't cover for labor classes.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the labor. For some women, it slows things down. For others, it does the opposite. I ended up getting an epidural both times because I wasn't progressing and it made things speed up. After 36 hours and only 4 cm with my first, I got the epidural and was fully dilated and pushing about 4 hours later. With my second, I got the epidural after I think 35 hours or so, again stuck at 4 cm. I was fully dilated and pushing less than an hour later.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I have not had my baby yet, and am planning a natural birth, so I cannot answer this question from personal experience. It seems from the experiences of my friends an family that the women who had natural labors had their babies in just a few hours. The women who have had epidural had longer labors.
    An old co-worker of mine had a baby a few weeks ago. She had an epi. and had a lot of trouble feeling to push. They had to pull her daughter out with suction.
    Everyone's experience is different though.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 1:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• IMO, I think that the epi actually speeds up labor if anything. It allows your body to relax and do what it needs to do without you fighting the pain of the contractions which, typically, makes you tense up. Out of all the labors I have been present at that have had an epi (11 counting my two) the labor sped right up after the epi was started.

Our hospital has found that it does not have any effect on the progress of labor so our docs will give it as soon as you are admitted, regardless of your dilation
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2009