Are you concerned about the availability of drugs in your kids schools?

childalert

Asked by childalert at 12:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Every high school has at least one drug dealer, as does every town, no matter how small. You get rid of one, and as long as there is demand, another will take his or her place. My goal is to keep my kid from being a customer; I figure that's all I can realistically do.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• oh yeah my sister is 11 and in the 6th grade!!!!!her school had a lock down with dogs a few weeks ago for drugs sadly that wasnt the first and wont be the last ....i worry about her
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Of course! I want to bring my daughter home and lock her away from the world. Knowing I can't really do this. I can only do my best to make her aware....which I have been doing for a long time now. And, if she leaves to chase the "dangers" for awhile...I can hope and pray I have instilled the roots for her to come back to. I say this..because I did it myself. Luckily, I had a supportive family and the knowledge and roots to come back to when I decided to grow up. That's my story and I'm sticken' to it. lol
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 1:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Of Course! But it is everywhere, I can only hope that I have thought him well. I am also concerned at the sex just as much.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 1:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Of course, 10 years ago I saw a deal happen that involved a handshake pass off between two guys. I happened to be standing near the principal of the HS and he turned to me and said "Isn't it nice that the other students here are polite?" referring to the two guys shaking hands while talking of cutting the grass. I honestly couldn't believe that he was that stupid. Since I know he is still the principal of the school, it terrifies me. BUt I surveived it without trying them, so I am sure with the same mindset my son will too.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Drugs have always been avaliable in schools. DH told me once that in health class a kid told the teacher they could find a joint before a cigarette and another kid didn't believe them so the teacher sent one for a joint and the nonbeliever for a cigarette, they had to get them from someone else in the school. The kid cane back with a joint long before the kid with a cigarette! DH graduated in 1986, so this was way before cell phones so it wasn't like one texted faster than the other!
    As others have said the key is to keep your child from wanting to use drugs, the problem isn't dealers the problem is users. If someone wants drugs bad enough they will find them.
    Anonymous

• Not really. Drugs are every where and I hope that I taught my son enough that he will stay away. There are not much drugs in my son's middle school. He is in 8th grade and this was the first year he came home and told me that the police came and searched someone's locker. A few lockers to be exact. He was impressed, not with the fact someone had drugs at school, but with the fact that they police just "ripped" the lock off the locker and threw things out of the locker into the hall. I told him that if he didn't want to deal with the embarrassment, he will stay away from drugs. I also told him that I will turn him in myself and put him in rehab so fast his head will spin.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I cant believe how bad it is. I moved away from living in the ghetto, so that my kids dont grow up the way we did. We moved to a beautiful suburban neighborhood surrounded by mountains. Very low crime neighborhood and one of the top 50 schools in the country and the only differences are that the schools have more for the kids to do and enjoy, like equestrian and photography, beautiful campus and the drug of choice is cocaine. In my old neighborhood it was marijuana. I'm glad we moved and will never go back to the ghetto but i'm shocked that the school has drugs.
    Anonymous

• Drugs are everywhere, and they always have been,actually in the 1960s and 70s it was worst,as far as moving away from the Ghetto and worst neighborhoods,the better neighborhoods have drugs too,it's just hidden better,and the kids use different drugs. I will always say,it's up to the parents,and the child, I don't care where you live or go to school,if, your child want to dabble in drugs,he will do it. The best thing ,we as parents can do,keep praying,keep talking to our kids,get involve with your kids friends,go to the schools,if,you see weird things going on,report it.

Anonymous