Castor Oil. Would you try it? Have you tried it?

Castor oil
For decades, women have been using castor oil to help induce labor. In fact, many old school physicians and midwives swear by it. It can provide good results if you are already in early labor. It is believed to work by causing spasms in the intestines, which surround the uterus toward the end of pregnancy. These spasms, in turn, cause the uterus to cramp, which might result in labor.

You can take 1 to 4 ounces of castor oil mixed with 6 ounces of orange juice to cut its oiliness. You'll want to drink it quickly because of the unpleasant taste. Some practitioners suggest taking a single dose; others suggest repeated doses depending on your response. Keep in mind that castor oil usually will cause your bowels to empty within about three hours. With luck, soon after that, you will be in true labor.

How many mama's have tried it, and how many has it actually worked for?

What happened when you tried it? Just contract

DandieMandie

Asked by DandieMandie at 12:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i didnt do castor oil, but i never really heard any good stories about it. it causes loose bowels! so if you are succesful with inducing labor from it, you might have diarrhea at the same time and that will not be fun.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• no, i would never use castor oil...i agree with PP...i have not heard of it being successful for inducing labor...really it just gives you horrible diarrhea
    Anonymous

• I tried it when i was close to my due date with my daughter and all it did was make me very sick. I had really bad diarrhea and vomiting, i will never try that again.
    Anonymous

• My mother successfully used it for my oldest sister but she is the only one I know of, and even though it worked she swore she would never use it again. I know my grandmother used it for punishment for my father and uncle when they got into serious trouble, anything that can be used as a punishment because its so bad probably isn't a good plan when your getting ready to give birth.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:14 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It's a laxative; it causes abdominal cramping, but because of the diarrhea. Some women mistake that for labor, but when they get to the hospital they're sent home because there's no change in their cervix to indicate active labor. For others who are on the verge of going into labor anyway, the strong abdominal cramps can induce labor contractions; but, as with all "home induction" methods, it only works if you're about to have the baby anyway, in which case you could just wait another day or two for it to happen naturally.

I considered taking it with my second, but only as a last resort. I was going for a VBAC, so I knew if I went too long overdue, my doc would want to schedule another C-section; I got some castor oil to use maybe a day or two before the C-section date if it came to that -- which it didn't, I had my baby at 40 weeks exactly.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I took it the night before I went into labor with my son
    stephanielashay

Answer by stephanielashay at 3:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2009