Spanking

My little daughter, i love her so, but she gets into sooo much trouble. she is two years old and doesn't listen unless threat of a spanking. i am wondering if it is possible to spank her too much?

Gryllidae

Asked by Gryllidae at 12:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh you're in for it now..
    Anonymous

• u r such a lucky woman 2day. I'm exhausted n don't have the energy to tell you how I really feel about a mother, the nurturer of children, who hits her child. wtf do u think u r teaching her? let me tell you if you don't know. u r teaching her that hitting is ok. u r teaching her that she should grow up and allow others to hit her bc "hitting = love". u r teaching her that her mother isn't smart enough to learn parenting skills. u r teaching her that she's not worth the time 2 for mom to learn how 2 b a good mom and not abuse her child. u r teaching her to be submissive to bullies. hitting her ONCE is 2 much. there r so many other intelligent options from which 2 choose. figure it out. now u have me so pumped up I want to just spit. I cannot believe that a mother can even consider striking such a precious spirit as a toddler. u bruise her spirit every time u hit her. don't believe me? look in her eyes every time u hit her.
    Anonymous

• prepare for a bunch of bashing, but dont take it personally, as this is just an honest question :)

I'm not a spanker, but in my opinion, spanking all the time won't get the message through. it will only scare her, and perhaps teach her hitting is ok. just like saying NO all the time will eventually go in one ear out the other, spanking might not be effective...then what? I would spank as a very last resort and only if she is doing something very dangerous and won't listen. threatening a spank might be all you need to do if she didnt like it being done to her. try time outs. if she is misbehaving, bring her to another room. she might not understand reasoning, but in simple words, tell her why she was removed from the situation.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I spank my child when she is doing something that could harm her, and TO DO SO IS A PERSONAL DECISION. Anon :00, I am not stupid and I am not a bad parent. Don't tell me that I am not smart enough to learn parenting skills just because you are a judgemental fool who thinks that telling a kid no 100 times is better than giving them a harmless smack on the butt. Don't try to tell other parents that they are bruising a childs spirit, how RIDICULOUS is that? Grow up and stop preaching.

To the OP: YES you can spank your kid too much, you need to evaluated the situation and see if there is something better you could be doing. Have you tried timeouts? Have you tried getting at his/her level and explaining in a way that s/he could understand what s/he is doing wrong?
    Anonymous

• I say one swat on the butt is fine to get their attention. Anymore than that is out of anger that the parent has and is wrong.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You can do anything too much.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• At 2 years old she doesn't understand the "threat" of a spanking. Have you tried time out or other alternatives? If spanking isn't phasing her you're basically just popping her for nothing. (BTW, i'm a last resort spanker so i'm not against it. but in cases like this where it's not effective there is no point in doing it>)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Needless to say, some of us don't think spanking is effective. So yes, you can spank too much. Anything done too much can render an ineffective lesson....simply stated she doesn't learn what you want her to learn but only sees that you keep hitting her. I hope you check out alternatives. Being a little child should be fun and happy. She should not have to fear you. She's not really understanding why you are hitting her anyway.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If your dh hit you more than once do u think it would be too much?
    Anonymous

• :24 that is a pointless responce. You DH isn't teaching or diciplining you by "hitting" you. And FYI, when my DH spanks me, I like it, thank you very much!

As far as spanking a child, I'm with the :09 anon, as a last resport when she is doing something dangerous, so yes, you can do it too much.
    Anonymous