how would you feel about doing this?

I want well need to send my son to preschool.. I just had a baby and he needs to get out more and be with other kids his age not mommy and baby sis.
Ok so would you put your child into an enviroment where the H1N1 virus could be going around..? meaning your are sending him out there to possibly catch it.
its not going around at the place i want to send him but what if it did. I am VERY torn on this. he turned 3 in April so I think 3 1/2 is old wnough to go to school for a few hours a week.. but I am scared for him to catch that crap.
would waiting until next year be a bad thing?

TravisJohnsmama

Asked by TravisJohnsmama at 12:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• right now (or when the flu is around) you can get the flu from pretty much anywhere even grocery store or the mall.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't this year. In fact, this year we are avoiding a great many things that normally we wouldn't think twice about.

But at daycare, where all those little kids cough, sneeze and put everything in their mouth, I just wouldn't risk it, especially with a baby in the home.

I'm pregnant and we will be avoiding making too many trips into public areas especially ones that have a lot of "kid traffic".
    Anonymous

• If the child is going to get the flu, he's going to get it regardless of whether you send him to school or not unless you keep him in a bubble. And that is for the swine flu AND seasonal flu. If you go into ANY public place or if you're exposed to anyone who does chances are you are being exposed to the virus. Are you going to avoid it next too if it's still going around?
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If he can get it at 3 he can get it at 4 or 14 or 40.
    Anonymous

• I understand taking precautions, but there is also such a thing as finding false security. Avoiding preschool works if you're also planning on avoiding public venues as a whole. Are you not food shopping? Never going near a mall or a park? Are you and your spouse avoiding work? Doing the work at home thing? IF your husband is exposed in the office (which is totally possible) the family at home is exposed.

Preschool isn't a necessity BUT I wouldn't use H1N1 as a reason to not go if I was interested in sending my child.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• swine flu is all in your head
    Anonymous

• You need to stop worrying about what he MAY catch and let him be a kid, learn to socialize and learn what he needs to for kindergarten. Your child and you can get the flu or anything else, from anywhere you go...the store, the postoffice, the mall, the doctors office. You can't worry about something that you cannot control, if you did, you would go crazy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Have you thought about having him vaccinated? And with a new baby in the home, you should seriously consider having everyone vaccinated - the baby is the most vulnerable person in your home and I believe your best precaution is a vaccination.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• woah! calm down on the H1N1
    teach him good hand hygeine, ask the teachers, and send in clorox wipes. It will be fine.
    He will get a runny nose within a month, its normal - he is building up resistance. he will bounce back and love being able to have special big boy time and not be will icky girls all day.
    sarahq635

Answer by sarahq635 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2009