{repeat} Has anyone traveled an hour (or close to it) for your prenatal appointments and then birth? How did it go?

I asked this last night and got 10 wonderful responses, but I just wanted to see if anyone else wanted to share.

I would particularly like to hear how the drive while in labor went!

I am considering delivering at a hospital an hour away, and going there for my prenatal appointments too. There is a hospital 10 minutes from home BUT they aren't very mother\baby friendly, as in they push interventions that i consider to be bad for me and my future child :)

i'm wondering if i should just labor at home until i'm in transition and then go to the hospital here, or go to the hospital an hour away not long after i go into labor.

thanks for any (respectful) comments :) i would love to hear your good or bad experiences with traveling so far while in labor.

(i have also considered home birth btw but it's difficult in my state and would cost twice as much so i'm thinking hospital with midwives. i've done a lot of research...)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• dunno bout labor yet but i go an hour away every week for the baby i wish it was closer just in case i had an uh oh and thought i was in labor....otherwise closer to home can be way more comforting
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• We had a 45 minute drive. My husband drove me. It was bearable but I informed then I wanted the epidural as soon as I walked in the door! LOL It was my first child so from the moment I couldn't sleep from the contractions to the moment she was born it was like 12 hours. I have 5 children now and I wouldn't go to a hospital that far away now. I usually go from 4 to complete in about 45 minutes now and I wouldn't risk it. It was a fine experience for me and I don't regret it. I loved my OB (still with him 7.5 years later) and well worth all the time and the drive during labor to get to deliver with him. I just re-read your post. I would COMPLETELY go to the hospital that is an hour away! You aren't a novice and you know how your body labors by now. My opinion, though, is that I wouldn't wait to go but I have faith in my doctors and the hospital nursing staff and myself to deliver according to my wishes once I'm at
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• the hospital. It all comes down to that. If you aren't sure how you are going to be treated or you think your wishes might not be respected, then labor at home. That would purely be what you feel is best.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• We were 45-minutes-1 hour away depending on traffic. The appoinments were a long drive and gas was $4.00 a gallon so it was somewhat expensive. The ride to the hospital when i was in labor wasnt that bad. It was 2am and there was no traffic at all every light stayed green. It seemed like we never had to stop other than to get gas.
    mimi_emc2

Answer by mimi_emc2 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• YES I most certainly did!! Our hospital was exactly one hour away and through a city. hehehe. I choose to go through with it because it was a much much better hospital than what i could have gone to around here. It was my third c/s and it was planned. I went into labor the day before the surgery was scheduled. I knew I was in labor but I also knew I had plenty of time to get there.... so when the contractions were about 4-5 mins apart I hopped into the car and made the drive... it was fine! I got there and they were about 2-3 mins apart and I was 6cm dialated but since it was a c/s, I went right into surgery. :o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I am pregnant with my first baby right now and live in the middle of nowhere. it is a little scary for me, to have to travel an hour for apt. and will have to for delivery, but It is a good hospital and will be well worth it. If you are uncomfortable with the hospital closer to you, i would definatly choose the hour drive and have my baby delivered by someone i trust.
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 3:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• my appointments was 2 hours away in nashville but i had my babies in a hospital an hour from the house
    whitney014

Answer by whitney014 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009