Any advice on how to keep a blue herron out of my koi pond??

Okay, so we put in this really nice garden pond, with a water fall and the whole works. It sarts at 6inches deep and goes to 3ft deep. It is full of Koi (and they were not cheap). I've had problems with a Herron coming in early in the A.M. and eating my poor fish. Anybody out there know of a way to keep the bird from eating my fish! I don't even want him near my pond!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pets

• Do you have a dog? My folks live lake front and when my dogs come visit all the wild life problems disappear. No more beavers chewing stuff up, no more goose poop on the deck, etc. Maybe the neighbors can lend a dog in the AM?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Herons don't like it if they can't see their feet! Make it dark with lots of plants... Elodea, Cabomba, Duckweed....This will help.. also if you have a "shelf" in there that they have to step off of to get to the Koi.

Also, the fish will feel more secure with a ton of plants.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• you can buy a leaf net that covers ponds and looks invisable. Drsfostersmith sells them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 9, 2009