going from formula to breastfeeding

Heidy is a little over a month old and I been forumal feeding her sent the day she was born.But now with her have reflux and being colic. I wanted to start breast feeding her.My milk is almost gone but I still have a little left maybe enought for her to get 3 sippes out of it.I wanted to know if it is to late for me to breastfeed now and if not how can I get my milk to build up again.

I don't know much about breastfeeding but I want to learn and know about what I need to eat and drink to make good milk for my baby girl.

Mamato2angels

Asked by Mamato2angels at 1:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are in for a little work...first find a good lactation consultant. Second, up your fluids and eat oatmeal. Next, nurse as much as you can even if you need to supplement for awhile and pump to signal to your body that it needs to produce. Other natural remedies are Mother's Milk tea, Fenugreek and lots of patience
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I know that even adoptive moms can induce lactation- so you should be able to also. To build up your supply, BF often- like every few hours, even at night. When I had low supply w/ DD #2, I rented a hospital grade breast pump. DD would only nurse for a few minutes and then fuss because of the low supply- so I put her on my breast and she when she started screaming I would take her off and immediately pump for about 15-20 minutes. Drink lots and lots of water, and avoid gassy foods.
    Anonymous

• k lets see. does she latch on? try to get her to latch on if she doesnt, (a niplle shield my help) fluids 64oz daily, oatmeal, go to a local healthfood store or gnc and buy fernugreek if you ahve a babiesrus near get mothers milk tea. if you can buy a pump pump eveyr 2-3 hrs for 10 mts. try pumpng while she is latched on. eat healthy. try no caffeine it can affect supply. most important nurse nurse nurse. the more you nurse the more milk you will produced
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You need to constantly stimulate your breasts to produce. Try to nurse as often as possible. Pump every 2 hours, yes even get up at night. Mother's milk tea can help. Eat fennel! it'll up your supply. You have to drink A LOT of fluids to keep your milk up. Contact a lactation consultant and talk with your doctor.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You don't need to eat or drink anything special. Some people think oatmeal or herbs or teas help make more milk. They haven't been scientifically proven.

What makes more milk is breast stimulation by nursing or pumping. Your breasts need stimulation every 2-3 hours around the clock. It's best if you can rent a pump. A pump like the Medela Pump-In-Style may work well enough.

It may be easy, it may be hard. Your baby may take the breast and your milk come in in a matter of days. You may need the help of a LC.

www.kellymom.com is a good website
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• breastfeedingIs there a LeLeche League in your community? If not, there might be a CM group you can get support from on this.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• p.s. Our county health dept has a program to help with new mothers and breastfeeding. You might call them as well. They come to the home and help.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Yes you have some good advice here. When you supplement use a lactaid or a supplemental nursing system. It will give your baby formula while she is at the breast so there are no bottles involved and you can know that she is getting some fluids until your supply is back in full swing. Good luck. You can do it!
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 3:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009