I'm concerned about my son.

My son is three months old and I'm still breastfeeding him. For the last week or so, he has not been having daily bowel movements. He has them about every 2-3 days. He is passing gas with no problem, his belly is not hard and he doesn't seem to be in any pain. My mom says it's seems odd but she's not sure because she could never breast feed. Should I be concerned that he isn't pooping every day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope, it's normal for babies to only have bowel movements gapping 4-6 days...if it goes over 7 days or you notice lumps in his belly, you need to call the doc as it could be a blockage
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Normal. Breastfed babies can often go 7-10 days without a bowel movement. This is because breastmilk leaves little waste. As long as she's not passing dry, hard pellets, it's fine. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• no it's normal. talk to the doctor if you get worried though.
    Anonymous

• Just ask the pediatrician to relieve your concerns

Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Some pediatricians don't know anything about breastfeeding -- admckenzie. For all we know her ped. will tell her to give her baby formula or a laxative! BAD idea for supply and baby doesn't need laxative if not constipated. Some ped.'s think you can just give a baby formula and breastfeed a little and it won't affect anything -- which is dead wrong. But maybe her ped. does know, but I would not always take the word of a ped. on breastfeeding - I'd talk to an LC or a IBLC or a LLL leader first!

It's normal for them to go up to 7 days between poohs (I've never read 10, but maybe it's somewhere) You'll notice many days he'll pooh up a storm and others he'll not have any! As long as he is still peeing 6-8 diapers a day and isn't having hard pellet poohs or have a lumpy or super hard belly, baby is doing fine with eating/poohin!
    Anonymous

• I had the same thing happen and it scared the crap out of me cause my daughter was bf also and she went everyday and then my son who is also bf went everyday a ton and then all the sudden stopped and went days without going. give it some time he will go, if he is in pain you can stimulate him to go, or give a suppository(sp) only if it is recommended by the ped. Hopefully you dont go to the er thats what I did and they looked at me like I was dumb. message me if you need anymore adivse, I can be tough on them and you. Good Luck
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Oh yeah my son was about the same age when he stopped the pooping everyday.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i ebf my son until 7 mos and he did this often, he would go like 3 days sometimes. my doc said it normal as long as they are not uncomfortable, or have a hard belly, and as long as the eat normal.
    mrsaustin271

Answer by mrsaustin271 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2009