Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this seem stupid to anyone else?

So I am trying to shut down my FS and I call the office and they want PROOF of DH's income before they will take me off. They have to have a month of pay stubs. Does this make sense to anyone? Would anyone who couldn't afford it ask for it to stop? Then I tried to find out about my son's health care, wanted to find out if we still qualified or not, because we get insurance with hubby's new job too. And the womans reply "Why would you want to know that? He is covered till he is 5." Umm, maybe because since we can AFFORD it, it should go to someone else? Why are they making it so difficult to STOP services now that we don't need them? Someone please explain it to me?
We needed a hand for a while, now we don't, is that hard to get?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (7)
  • Oooooh I have to answer anon because I'll get bashed so here goes. Many people who work in government are too stupid to do anything else. Your situation is stupid becasue of stupid people. I could tell you stories. It scares me to think these employees drive to work on the same roads I drive on. You have to discontinue FS or you will be charged with a crime and have to pay them back and what if you never used them you would probably have to pay them anyway.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • They ask for a month of paystubs because once you discontinue it is difficult to get them back. They want to know that you are 100% back on your feet because very often the case, someone starts pulling back up on their feet so they stop their FS, then something happens in a couple of weeks or months and they need help again. As far as the insurance is concerned, many families struggle from paycheck to paycheck to keep the children and themselves insured. She is just informing you that your child can be insured for free until the age of 5 which could help you and also insure that your child is always insure, no matter what may happen. It may be a frustrating process to come off of PA but trust me, it is that way for a reason. The worker is not stupid or trying to make it difficult on you. She is only trying to insure that your family is in the best possible place as far as money and insurance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I've got to agree with both the previous posters. Some gov employees are dumber than dirt. But I'm sure they have seen it all. And I bet it is a big pain in the ass to reinstate if your hubby doesn't make it through his probation period. Best thing to do might be to stall. Let them know that hubby has a new job and you don't think you qualify anymore, but don't make it official until it looks like it is going to last. Tell her you will come in with your pay stubs in six weeks and "settle up your account." As I understand it many working people qualify for WIC. So maybe you shouldn't let go of that until you have to. You never know the price of gas might go up again. Lots of bigger kids get free school lunches too. Trust me it is coming out of my tax money. I don't mind paying for the struggling poor or the sick or elderly. I would rather you get it than the banks, car companies and other big corps!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • God Bless that person. In case many of you did not know, the federal government has upped the income guidelines.

    This means people making more can still get some benefits, its shouldn't be hard to live.

    Especially with a job.

    If you dont want the benefits dont use them, simple!

    they will be returned after being untouched for so many months.

    Ummm yeah, its alot harder if you need them back.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • It's actually very simple. A state worker is required to get the same information from you as they are from anyone else. They can't just assume that your income is legit, nor can they assume that you make what you say you make and if you qualify for something and they don't do everything to make sure that you get what you are entitled to you can sue them later... They have very strict guidelines to follow and if they don't it can cost them their job... Why are you haveing all these issues with someone that's doing their job is my question? Just give them what they need and keep going.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • Think about it this way too.....What if you got in a fight with your sister and for revenge she called the FS office to tell them that she was YOU and YOU no longer needed food stamps. She may know all of your pertinent info. It is much better that they require you to supply some info and in return prove that you are who you say you are. It covers their butts and protects you that they are asking for this proof.

    Answer by slw123 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • Go to the office and tell them you want the case closed. You should not have to prove anything to close your case. All I had to do when I closed my case before was to call my caseworker and tell her I wanted to close my case. She sent me a form and I signed it and sent it back to her and the case was closed.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.