Is labor starting?

Iam 40 weeks and 6 days pregnant. Today everytime I walk I get a crampy contraction in my back and stomach. Then when I sit it is still there for a couple seconds longer. But as soon as I get up again I have another one. Even when I get up from the toilet. Also I have cotractions while sitting too. I am 2-3cm dilated and 70% effaced.

weaselkim

Asked by weaselkim at 1:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yeah sounds like early labor. how far apart are they?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• sounds like early labor to me, but you can have early labor for up to a few days. but don't worry, it will happen soon.

i also started early labor at 40w6d, but at night. i had a very crampy uncomfortable night but managed to sleep most of the night, then my water broke in the morning. active labor started within a couple hours, and then my son was born that evening!

good luck! actually i was surprised when my water broke. even though i was 41 weeks and in early labor all night, it hadn't hit me yet that i was about to have this baby!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• oh i should have said early labor can take a few days, or just a few hours, or you could just go straight into active labor. sorry that is the opposite of helpful, but it's true! i would have my bag ready (if you are delivering at a hospital or birthing ctr, that is) for sure!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• ya it could start now or later..but it does sound like the beginning.ya just be ready.if you go to your next appt and you still havent gone you may get induced...no big deal.you probly just need a little push.i bet it will be a fast delivery though..good luck and focus...
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009