Can my daughter get baptised catholic without me?

She is 5 months old.
Im methodist, my whole family is.
I have chosen not to baptise her at all, but her father wants to baptise her in the catholic church before she turns one. I honestly feel that if him & his family can, they will baptise her behind my back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes she can, even her grandparents can do it without you knowing
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 2:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• the grandparents can't do it w/o the parents permission.
    Anonymous

• Yes.

You can get her baptized in the methodist church instead..it will be recognized by both churches. Even a catholic baptism will be recognized by the Methodists..."one baptism for the forgiveness of sins."

Answer by gdiamante at 2:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• you all really should have talked about this before you got married.
    Anonymous

• Yes they can too do it with out parents premission. My parents did it to my child and I did not know till later that night.
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 2:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• By the way she said her father , not her husband so they prob are not married.
    Anonymous

• Bingmom
    Yes they can too do it with out parents premission. My parents did it to my child and I did not know till later that night.
    __

than you parents lied to the Church and told them they had guardianship. Cannon law is clear the parents are to make the promise.
    Anonymous

• Yes, because he is the father he can have the child baptized without you. Personally I think it's sad that he would and if it were my sons father he would be finding somewhere new to live if he did something like that behind my back, BUT, mine knows better...

And to ANON 3:13 - Just because someone is imperfect and doesn't live up to the standards that YOU feel they should has NOTHING to do with this question. Maybe you should keep your nasty unhelpful comments to yourself.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Be it they lied or not, they still did it. Which was what I said it could be done with out asking the parents.

Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 3:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Maybe you should keep your nasty unhelpful comments to yourself.

I am sorry you are upset BUT it is a good example on why you should keep your legs shut. Sorry if the truth hurts.
    Anonymous