Claiming children on taxes?

My BF lives w/ his father .. our daughter lives w/ me. i get PA bc im not working. he works. his dad isnt working (disability). last year when i did his taxes i put him as HOH (his dad was working then) and let him (my BF ) claim our daughter ... is that how its done or no? im confused as to if i did it wrong ... it let me do it , so idk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sounds like your BF may be HOH and able to claim his dad if he's providing the house for him. Your child, it depends on who provided more than 50% of the support. Check the rules on IRS.gov or a local accountant for more detailed info specific to your situation.
    Anonymous

• well his dad said he doesnt need to pay anything , he said he doesnt feel right chargin his son. he wants me and the baby to move in too , but i told him I dont feel right living there if i cant find a job .. kwim? ... my bf does give him money here and there for bills , grocerys, gas ,w/e ... but his dad tries everything in his power to give it back lol
    Anonymous

• **OP HERE** another question to add"
    OK LAST YEAR , HE CLAIMED HOH , BUT HIS DAD WAS WORKING ... AND AGAIN SAME SITUATION MY DAUGHTER IS LIVING HERE ... HE DOES BUY EVERYTHING TO SUPPORT HER ...
    Anonymous

• Let him claim HOH for where he lives. You claim for where you live, and I'd probably say to claim your daughter.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

--
    i dont file taxes , i dont work right now (where we live there is ZERO pleaces hiring!--its horrible!)
    Anonymous

• Well, you can't both claim HOH. It sounds as though he cannot claim HOH since the father is being so independent. It's possible the father could claim HOH based on the BF living there. Again, the child is based on 50% support since sh'es living with you, you can claim HOH and probably qualifiy for the dependent. But if there are no arguments from you, the boyfriend can claim her as dependent. He'd benefit more from the dependent.

I am an accountant, but this is not my specialty. Again, I'd recommend contacting someone or going to the IRS site and reading up on the rules before taking any of these positions.
    Anonymous

• Gotchya on the no filing. Double check that there arent' any refundable credits you can receive. I think you need income for the EIC but some of the child credits may be available.
    Anonymous

• **OP HERE** another question to add"

can someone answer this one now , please? i filed his taxes last year and it all hit me 'what if i messed up?!'
    Anonymous

• Who did he use to file HOH? If he used your daughter, you should be fine. If there is a flag, you might get a notice from the IRS saying we changed your return please pay xx to account for the difference. It's probably not really a big deal.
    Anonymous