Should I leave out the job were I was terminated from my resume?

I want to get a job in the same field as the job I was terminated from. Let's just say I was not the only one terminated the place I worked for was a horrible place to work at. I'm not sure if I want to talk about that job during an interview. If I do leave it out I will have 6 months less of experience in the field and a gap in my resume. I was thinking I could leave out that job from my resume and just explain I was taking care of my son, if the interviewer asks about the gap in my resume. I really need some advice about what to do because I really need to get a job asap. Not to mention I am pregnant so I am sure that is going to be held against me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think it really depends on why you were fired. If it was cause you were a slacker, thief, ect then ya I would leave it off LOL. If it was more like a lay off then put it on. The gap in jobs I do not think is really all that important. Extra 6months is not much either, unless you only have little exp to start with. Hope that helped
    Anonymous

• If you leave it off and someone finds out then you would not get hired or you could get fired. It sucks but you should include it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It also depends on what kind of job you're applying for. My son works for a major bank, my husband worked in aerospace. They check backgrounds carefully, and if you leave a job off, they consider it lying and won't hire you....if they find out later it can be grounds for termination.

On the other hand. If you're applying for a job where they may not be so thorough you might want to leave it off.

Just remember that with today's technology, it's a lot easier for companies to get information. Many companies do a credit check, it will show up there as well.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Always always always be truthful in your resume. In many industries, the bad companies are known. If you're not the first one to be let go, it'll be known.

But you can put a positive spin on it..."the company went in a different direction." Or, "It wasn't a good fit." Or, "there was a management change" if that was the case...that's what happened to me at one job.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It depends are the places that you're going to go apply at likely to do a background check? If you leave it out and they check and find out you were lying then you won't get hired. That being said there are tons of people that pad their resumes and say things that aren't true. If the job experience is really relevant you have to weight the costs and benefits of leaving it out. I hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• I posted this question: Ok so I still don't know what to do because I am going to apply for the same position but in a different company. I started off in this field and had to leave the first job because I needed a full-time job. I know I would have a good refrence from the first job. My second job in this field was the one I got fired at. I was one of three people that got fired. Let me tell you this place was not a good place to work for because of so many reasons. After being fired I got back into school and found a part-time job in the same field again. I was recently laid off from my third job because of budget cuts. I aslo would have a good reference from the third job.I really enjoy working in this field and want to continue doings so. So I dont wanna ruin my chances of finding a job.
    danielle8717

Answer by danielle8717 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You could always list the job but say you left to go back to school, because you DID go back to school when you left. I wouldn't want to get caught not putting it in my resume, you can request that they not call them for a reference if they ask. You can explain that it wasn't a good place to work and that was what influenced your decision to go back to school. Something along those lines........
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Include it, the fact that you will get good references from your first and third job helps you out a lot. In this economy a lot of people have been laid off from more than one job. On your resume you don't have to explain why you left....only on your application. Don't list them under your references. List the other two jobs.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Put in on your resume. It is relevant. We don't all have references from every company we worked at. If an interviewer asks you why you left, you can simply state that you were downsized.

I do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview prep. Feel free to contact me directly. –Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 7:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• NO!!!!! You will have to explain the lack of employment for the time you don't have a job listed and if they do a background check and find out you did have employment, you won't have a chance of working for them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2009