my toddler keeps getting out of his bed

we had to switch my 18 month old into a toddler bed because he kept climbing out of his crib and he was doing fine with it, but starting yesterday during naptime he began getting up. yesterday i just let him get up and play in his room until he fell asleep, i figured as long as he was quiet he was still resting? he finally fell asleep but not for too long. today i tried the put him back in bed each time he gets up thing and ive done it probably 25 times and he is still getting back up. he keeps laughing when i put him back in bed. ive tried swatting his leg and then putting him in bed but i get the same response. what do i do???? p.s. i have an infant who is about to wake up for a feeding so what do i do?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 3:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try waiting an extra half hour to put him down for a nap. Or its quite possible he isn't tired and doesn't need a nap.
    My son refuses to fall asleep in his bed, he likes to sleep on the floor. I usually just put the baby gate in front of his door so he can't leave his room. Once he's asleep I put him in bed. But the majority of the time he doesn't even nap, its just quiet time for him.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• He probably isn't tired then. Wait until he starts winding down, then put him to bed. And don't worry about it too much- if his room is safe he is fine playing instead of napping. My grandma always laughs about my aunt who would get out of bed to play at night and fall asleep in the toybox.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009