hard question...

how do you tell a 3 and 4 yr old that you and daddy are separating?

idebusashes

Asked by idebusashes at 3:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• OOhhh, my friend is going through that. Her kids are 2 and 3. Her husband cheated on her. The kids know something happened, but not what. And they don't understand, just that daddy isn't gonna live with them anymore. They are devastated, and acting out. My friend and the kids have gotten into therapy. Just try telling them that you are getting separated, that daddy won't live with them anymore. But be certain to emphasize that he still loves them very much. Try to not fight in front of the kids, and don't talk bad about their dad. It will hurt no matter what. But I don't think that keeping it from them will help. It will be hard, and take time. If you can, get them into some kind of therapy.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2009