16 year old girl and predators on the internet HELP!

Do you children around this age spend a lot of time on the computer play games or otherwise? Do they talk to other people in the games or on chat rooms? I believe my child has been contacted by a child predator but she thinks he's her soulmate. What do i do, he tells her that he's her age and he loves her and needs her, he's the only good thing in her life, her family is out to get her. I work and she is home schooled and about to graduate in a few weeks. I don't know what to do or how to handle this. I'm pretty sure that she's given his personal information. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• wow i owuld contact authorities and ask for help they can do some research and see who he is maybe. Dont tell her you are calling. in our small town a 15 yr old boy was talking to a "girl" his age for a long time. They planned to meet but she lived far away so she sent her uncle to pick him up. Uncle was a clean cut business man with a family...but he was a predator. took boy to hotel and was raped...town is outraged. very small country town and it happened right her in our only hotel. I would cancel the internet...do whatever you have to do, but kids will be kids and they trust anyone online. start investigating, and dont leave her home alone...hire someone if you have to.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• How about you get on there and act like her and get info of of him and where did she meet him at?
    Anonymous

• First of all I would take the computer away, than I would contact authorities. Parental lock the computer with password access only.
    Anonymous

• The computer and internet is how she does school. We live way out in the country and she's going to be done with school in a few weeks. I sent her to stay with her sister for a couple of nights and she freaked out because there was no way for her to talk to the guy there and tried to walk home 25 miles. I'm at the end of my rope.
    Anonymous

• i want you to think about other ways they will talk if you take internet away...he may know where you live, have phone #s...they may find other ways.maybe you can put something on computer that tracks evey key stroke and read their conversations after she goes to bed. I think you need to show her stories of teens getn trapped by this stuff and finding out it was all a lie. Get her involved in other activities so she doesnt have too much free time.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I"d like to say that not all people who are interested in your daughter on the internet are going to be predators. I was 15 when I met my husband online. My mother was TERRIFIED for me. The way you can tell if he's legit is talk to him. Tell your daughter that you're concerned and that you will take the internet and phone away if you don't get to talk to him. If he refuses to talk to you, you know he's a predator and you contact the police. If he's willing to chat with you online or to talk with you on the phone, and he sounds like he's 16 or 17 and he has profile pictures and a backstory that's not vague or unbelievable then he's on the up and up.

You have every right to be concerned. Tell your daughter you don't want to come between her and someone she loves, but you don't want her to get taken advantage of either. Insist on talking with him.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Just because she uses the internet for school doesn't mean you can't unplug and keep the modem with you when she's not using it. You can supervise her and limit her access.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i have a 13 yr old a few months when she was 12 she got on some game online that had chats on it. this guy gave her this story that he was born a guy but his sister forced him to get a sex change because he almost killed her boyfriend. well she gave this guy her cell phone number and they was texting, but she had his number stored under a females name. i did n't know and one day i borrowed her phone and the guy sent her a text saying i love u and miss u. so my son 15 called the number and a guy answered and he just asked who it was and the guy hung up. he lived in florida so i contacted the police and gave them the number and they check it out. come to find out the guy was 28 and was a child molester. i thank god everyday that i borrowed my DD phone, and she wasn't allowed to go to any games with chats. GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If you are really concerned, call the local authorities and ask them to trace the ip address that the guy is using- that will tell them who he is and where he lives. As for restriction without removing internet completely, look into a netnanny program. they allow you to control what your child can access on the internet and you can also monitor and check their usage- what sites they visit, who they talk to, etc. They are pretty easy to install- my husband has put them on computers for people before. Here is a link: www.netnanny.com Good luck.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Call the authories,and contact her home-schooling provider,let them know what you expect, I wouldn't care ,I would unplug that computer,and she would only do school work,when I was home.
    Anonymous