Ever give a post dated check to your landlord?

We are a few days late with rent but still in the 10 day grace period they give us Saturday is the last day for it. We get unemployement so that's what we use to help pay rent but then we got a check from hubby's old employer and that will help us out alot so we deposited as soon as we got it and that was the 25 and we were told it would take 10 days to clear . Here it is the day before we really need that money to pay rent and the bank says they are waiting for the bank we got the check from to release the money still . She said it could be Tues. beofre they realse the money .
now we have to decide what to do about paying rent . We don't have enough from unemployement to make the full rent and he won't take partical anyway since we have only been here since Aug. so we are hoping that if we explain about the money being held till possibly Tuesday that he will take a post dated check since he takes about 4-7 days to deposite

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Writing a post dated check does not mean they cannot cash it, banks do not care or pay attention to the date on your check.

If it were me I would contact your landlord and explain the situation and see if you can pay some now and have the rest next week!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• You need to contact your landlord. Wow a 10 day grace period, thats crazy. I am a landlord and it's 3 days. I'm sure you will have to pay late fees. Which you should be ok with since you are late. It puts landlords in a bad spot if the mortgage is paid late because they can't count on the rent coming in on time. This happened to us last month. We got our rent after they were served their 3 days to evict letter. Which I had to pay the payment and got to pay the overdraft fees due to the rent being late.
    Anonymous

• If the check is from a local bank, you can go to that bank to cash it. Well, next time. And deposit it in your own bank. You don't have to have an account at the bank to cash a check from an account there. Do talk with your landlord. They may take a post dated check, and hold it. The longer you wait the less likely your landlord will work with you.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I used to collect rent. The bank will not release the funds until the date on the check but that does not mean they can not charge you late fees. I would go explain the situation to the landlord...shows you are making an honest effort. Usually your check will not clear until Tuesday. So on the final day that it is due before late fees start, drop it in the night drop. Usually they will honor it for the day before.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009