Healthy way to Gain weight for a 3 yr old?

My daughter will be 3 pretty soon, and today she got a check up on her weight and height... She is pretty tall for her age, [she looks 4 yrs old when really shes much younger] but her weight is not where it should be. The nutritionist said that i should try to get her to gain a few pounds so she can catch up with her height... said i could try to maybe give her a pice of butter toast, add butter to things that i already give her, just to add a few calories... or to try Carnations Instant breakfast which would be a cheaper way to go instead of Pedia Sure....

OTher than that any other ideas ?

Bebe510

Asked by Bebe510 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Health

• As long as she is above the 5th percentile I wouldn't be worried.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Didn't happen to be a checkup by WIC did it? If so, disregard anything they say.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If she's healthy and happy and energetic don't even worry about it. I have been underweight my entire life; it has only become a problem since I started having children. If she is underweight, there is a chance she will never weigh what others think she should, no amount of "gut-loading" and food pushing will help. And any nutritionist who suggests increasing the amount of butter should be slapped- you would fix one problem and find another 20 years from now when her arteries begin to harden and clog b/c she's been eating more butter/ fatty foods than normal. I've tried, and adding calories only works if you eat round the clock- you would have to force-feed your dausghter, and you don't want to do that. Relax, enjoy your daughter, make sure she eats a haelthy diet, and ignore those who tell you she needs "some meat on her bones"
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Both of my kids are in the 95 percentile for height, but usually fall between 10 and 12 percent for their weight. There is nothing wrong with it. They are tall and thin. Their father and I were both that way also and we both turned out just fine. As long as she is eating healthy food, don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• I TOTALLY agree with kalebsmommee! That is exaclty what my WIC nutrionist suggested for my 5 year old daughter! the next week she had a doc appt so I asked the doc (because I don't think butter is all that healthy, so why shove it down my daughter's throat?). Her doc said that she is just a petite girl and ignore what the nutristionist said because butter isn't healthy and there is no point in risking health problems in little kids. I bought the instant breakfast stuff, but not for my daughter (doc said don't worry about that either), my hubby likes those because he is always skipping breakfast. Just give her whole milk since it is the most fattening and it's still healthy.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Instant breakfast mix is full of sugar and chemicals! No!

Kids grow at different rates, and she might just be going through a skinny stage.

Real food is key! Focus on nutrients, not calories. Offer her healthy snacks throughout the day. Apple slices with almond butter, veggie sticks with herbed cream cheese dip (run a block of cream cheese with some dill and basil and cashews in the food processor), or make home made Popsicles with real fruit juice and yogurt.

Breakfast smoothies are so easy! 1 cup of mixed fruit with 1/2 cup yogurt or coconut milk and 1/2 cup real fruit juice. You can freeze any leftovers into Popsicles. Coconut milk will definitely help her weight.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• OP Yes, it was at my WIC appt. and the pediatrician didnt seemed concerned, but the the lady at Wic scared me lol. Ok Thank you people for your nice replies !!! and i have always been underweight too... i was about 100 lbs at 5 ft... so im small myself, but on the other side, Hubby is 6 ft, 200 lbs.... so she takes after him. =) again , THANKS !!
    Bebe510

Answer by Bebe510 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My son has always been in the 50th or lower percentile for weight but always in the 85th and higher for height and it never fails WIC always has something to say about his weight. My son isn't fat but the boy is thick yet for some reason WIC thinks I should "fatten" him up, wtf? He eats plenty i'm not going to force feed him just because they say he should be a certain weight. If her pediatrician isn't worried, then don't worry about it. WIC has "guidelines" that they go by that don't compare height/weight like the dr's office does so if the percentages are so far off they seem to think a child is underweight. Stupid people.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• For a long time when my dd was younger (At one year old she could wear 3-6 month clothes) she was very underweight. Always right at the 5th percentile. I was told to give her mac and cheese made with whole milk and ice cream. Fat is essential to brain development. They have to have it. I'm not saying feed your kid until they are obese, but they have to have fat intake for their brain to develop correctly.
    Once my dd had her tonsils out, she started growing and is now pretty normal. She has her chubby times when she is gearing up for a growth spurt and her super skinny times right after she grew three inches.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Please don't load her up with sugar (that carnation crap or pediasure). Here is a healthy treat that you can make together; it has healthy fats: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    This recipe was created by Earthsave International' s Chair of the Board of Directors, Louisville Lawyer and chef, John Borders.
    • 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    • 2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    • 3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    • 2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    • 2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk
    • 1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 PM on Oct. 8, 2009