Why is it so important to "reform" health care RIGHT NOW?

I'm not rying to start drama...I'm serious. I never heard anything about needing health care reform before last years election.

Now it seems like that's ALL we hear about!

I understand that we spend a lot but we also have some of the best health care in the whole world right? So doesn't it make sense that we spend more?

What's the big rush to "fix" health care RIGHT NOW?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Politics. There are no plans for anything to actually be in place until well after the next Presidential elections so the rush is amusing.
    Anonymous

• I heard that people will be FORCED to have health insurance that they have to pay for, and if they don't they could be charged with a huge fine and/or prison? I find it rediculous since there are really low income people that can't afford that (myself included...I'm on state medical, but won't be after baby is born). It sounds to me like it's going to hurt the economy or basically kill the lower class since workers for lower class don't provide health insurance.
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Not trying start drama? Really? If you have to ask that question you must not know what it's like to not have healthcare.
    Anonymous

• You need to learn more about health care. We have far from the best health care system in the world. When Clinton was elected president reforming health care was one of Hillary's priorities. The Clintons worked 8 years trying to reform health care.

The United States ranks 33 in infant mortality rate. The US ranks 41 in maternal mortality rate.
    Too many people don't have insurance or if they do can't afford to go to the doctor because of deductables and co-pays.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I agreee with Anon who wrote the question. I'm down with healthcare reform, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been denied coverage for certain needs and I'm sure I wasn't the first and won't the last person on the planet forced to live on a hope and a prayer that I didn't get sick b/c I couldn't afford health insurance for several years. I understand that something needs to be done about the insurance co's, but Rome wasn't built in a day. This is a SERIOUS change that will affect ALL Americans and needs to be well thought out, well planned, and well executed. So to the folks who want to rush about trying to get a bill signed, please wait until all of the i's have been dotted and the t's have been crossed. Only fools rush in.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• One of the people above is on "state medical" until her baby is born. She probably means Medicaid but doesn't want to say she is on Medicaid. Or the state gives Medicaid a different name, but it's still Medicaid. AZ uses a different name for Medicaid.

From what I have read there will still be Medicaid. It may be expanded to include the poor. In AZ you already can stay on Medicaid if you have some income.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• This is why it is such a hurry. There are families like mine out there. We have a child with special needs so our money goes to paying for his healthcare which means no healthcare for my husband and I. So three weeks ago my husbands colon ruptures and he is rushed into emergency surgery and spent a week in the hospital. So far we have gotten $70,000 in bills. We are trying to sign up for MSI which means the government will pay for it, if not we will be ruined. If we could have affordable healthcare we would not be forced to beg for the government to pay our bill. If there was no such thing as pre-existing conditions, we would not be forced to pay crazy amounts of money for his insurance. There are just a couple reasons why it needs to be dealt with NOW.
    Anonymous

• We have far from the best health care system in the world.

She didn't say the system is the best. She said the care is among the best, and I have to agree. The real debate is about how to pay for health insurance and ensure even those that can't afford health insurace have access to good care. The rising cost of healthcare, how people pay for adequate care and how we ensure doctors are paid by administrators are the problems. The standard and excellence of care is not the issue.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• When I was expecting my second child my husband's employer quit paying for health insurance without telling the employees and still didn't tell them when the insurance was cut off. I had complications which involved my son being born emergency c-section and I was in the hospital for 6 weeks after his birth WITHOUT ANY HEALTH INSURANCE AT ALL. My son and I still got the best of care.(We tried to sue the employer but he hid under chapter 11 bankruptcy and we were stuck with the bill.) But the point is even without insurance, we still got health care.
    Anonymous

• It's actually nothing new; health care reform attempts have been going on since Roosevelt. It just comes to the fore about once a decade.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2009