Cs county is not testing fo rthe swine flu anymore!!!!!!!!!

So I have a 23 month old daughter and my son is seven they are both sick!! I wnated to take them in because they have a fever, productive cough, mucas and sore throat and body aches!! I am freaking out cause I wanted to make a doctors appointment for them and the doctors told me they would not see them unless they needed to be hospitalized because they can' t send antibiotics for a cold, and if it lasts longer than 14 days with a fever over 104 for that long I mind you then they will see then and they are not testing heref or the swine flu anymore, because it is here! My son has epilepsy! he siezes for many reasons one of them is a fever.. he can't have a fever that long even for an hour. I am so frusterated any advice?

CrystalPmom2

Asked by CrystalPmom2 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The doctors here did the same thing. I still don't know if the bug we all came down with was swine flu or not. DH and I took turns watching DS's fever as well as our own and none of them climbed super high. Have you tried wiping them down with a lukewarm wash cloth? Not so they shiver but just to put moisture on the skin to bring down the temp? Don't be offended by the doctors, they are probably getting so many calls they don't even glance at files anymore, just give the standard directions to everyone. Call them back and try to get someone to listen to you.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• give your kids tylenol to bring the fever down, if it doesn't go down within the hour, take them to the ER. Antibiotics for a cold are pointless, but you can have test done to make sure that it's just a cold. If you go to the ER DEMAND a swineflu test be done. But a high fever was actually only present in a few swine flu cases just to give you a heads up...
    mammacjjc85

Answer by mammacjjc85 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I did give them both tylonol but they still are both spiking fevers at night !! it is only at night though, I have followed the swine flu warnings pretty well, and I actually traveled this summer where it was and we did not get sick then, but first couple weeks back to shcool and bam! they are both sick :(
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 4:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Honestly, it really doesn't matter if they test for the swine flu or not. The treatment for any kind of flu is the same. Tylenol for fevers, lots of fluids, etc.

Try a cool bath to keep the fever down, and make a point of waking up to give him Tylenol in the middle of the night.

Good luck.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I agree with mancosmomma
    What difference does it really make if they have a test that says they have swine flu? If they have the symptoms... assume that it IS.
    There isn't really any treatment... you could always ask your pediatrician for some Tamiflu to shorten the illness... but other than that, most people aren't getting any medications becase they don't help that much.
    Give Tylenol and Motrin to your son if he starts to feel warm to keep his temp undercontrol
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It's a frickin' virus. Does it matter what it is called?

Answer by rkoloms at 12:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2009