How do I politely tell people to buzz off

Ok a little background. My first husband died in June of 06 while I was pregnant with baby #2. 4 months later my dad died. I remarried, and now this year my first husbands stepdad has died, and I had a stillborn baby (39 weeks along) on Sept 22. Everyone I come across keeps telling me I should turn my back on God over this. Honestly I have no plans to do so, and don't even want to hear about it. I love my Lord, and everything that happens keeps bringing me closer to Him. I am at a loss of how to deal with these people. How can I tell them to get lost or at least drop that line of conversation without sounding too mean?

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• you can put your middle finger in the air
    Anonymous

• Why worry about sounding mean? I wouldn't hesitate..they are being far more rude.

But you tell them that you are still here yourself because of your faith in God. Then change the subject.

And be prepared to cross folks off your social calendar.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• oh wow you went through alot. i really don't know, i don't know anyone that would actually say to turn your back on Him...i don't know...i'm sorry for your losses though
    Anonymous

• "I'm sorry, this is not something I am willing to discuss."

"I know you mean well, but I am not willing to discuss this."

"I'm sorry, this is completely against my beliefs, and I will not discuss it."

Answer by Bmat at 5:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I am so sorry for all of your loss!! I wish you peace during this time! I can't imagine people being so rude and unsupportive during this time:( Thats horrible.
    I'd simply tell them your relationship with God is a personal one and not up for discussion and just walk away.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I would simply comment that you understand why the things you have gone through might cause another to doubt God if they had experienced the same things, however these circumstances have only brought you closer to him and you would appreciate it if they would refrain from telling you how to believe in regards to your beliefs and their time would be better spent focusing on their own.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• (((HUGS))) for you.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• First off, I am sorry to hear about your lose, and I am glad to hear that you have strong faith :) and I admire you for your strength. It is very hard to loose anyone period, especially in such a short time, multiple loses.

Personally i am kind of blunt.. I would start off with the basics nice but bluntly state I value your opinion, but I don't believe in my heart that is the right thing to do. Or something around those lines. And you can quickly change the subject, if they are your friends and value you, they will except that. I hope this helped a little nit :)
    CrystalPmom2

Answer by CrystalPmom2 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Just be honest, and say what you told us. Say something like, "I understand that looking from the outside in, you may think that. But I love the Lord and the comfort He gives me. I really don't feel comfortable talking to you about this."

God Bless
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 5:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'd say something like, "Look what happened while we were following God, I'd hate to see the consequences of turning my back on Him." Remember, Job's wife kept telling him to "Curse God and die." He never did, and God blessed him seven fold when all was said and done.

Anonymous