how can i get my 2yr to stop sucking his thumb?

2boysmom08

Asked by 2boysmom08 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've always heard and believed that thumb sucking is no big deal. Regardless of rumors too the contrary, it does not harm teeth, and most kids stop on their own. Most competant docs will tell you the same thing. It only becomes a health issue in school, where kids are exposed to germs a lot. But usually if a kid is still thumb sucking by school age, the teasing gets them to stop more effectively than you ever could hope to!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Ok, like ten things about this. First, it really DOES mess up your teeth. I was an AVID thumb sucker growing up and when I was 10 I got braces because my front four teeth literally formed a semi circle in my mouth! Second, I am SO sorry to say, your child will quit when he is ready, and it may not ever happen. My parents tried hot sauce, the gross stuff you paint on your nails to stop biting, slapping my hand when my thumb was in my mouth, letting the kids make fun of me, once I got older grounding me when they caught me, nothing worked. Granted, most kids will grow out of it at a young age, but to be totally honest, I am 21, and I still suck my thumb..
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• ha ha...my 18mos old sucks her thumb! I don't like it but it is what it is...My older two never even had a paci! But I decided I hope she outgrows it BUT I have accepted she may not and I am not about to do hot sauce or smack her or any of those evil things!
    Anonymous

• It only messes up your teeth if you don't stop by the time adult teeth grow in. Which 99/100 thumb-suckers do.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 1:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2009