WTF...What kind of recovery position is this???

My FIL had to have catarac surgery as they went in they notice more than they have expected something about a hole on his cornea and his retina was detaching they had to repair all that now they are telling him to go home and relax but with strict orders that he stays in a slouch position (basically slouched over like a drunk :(....) anyway today is day 3 and he is misserable how can anyone sit like this or sleep he is so uncomfortable :( He has 4 more days of this (7 days total) The doctor said that if he does any type of eye movement he could lose his eyesight.
We just told him to suck it up I mean we did all we can he is not a happy camper.

Anyone ever gone through this? I don't get it why can't he just lay flat on his back?

Thank you ladies for your input on this :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Health

• Poor guy. Yet apparently this is standard. I googled recovery position eye surgery and found this site that rents chairs to help the person keep in the position.

http://www.massage-tables.net/EYEBALL.html

Answer by Bmat at 5:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Idk for sure, but maybe laying slouched over will put pressure on his eye balls. Laying flat on his back may cause them to sink in. That's the only sense I can make of it. I say follow Dr.'s orders. & days of being uncomfortable is wayyyy better than being blind for a little comfort. Hope that didn't come out the wrong way.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 5:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/11-12-2005-81216.asp

Here is another site explaining the reason why and how the writer managed.

"Many hospitals will provide a special head rest that allows the patient to rest in a chair with the eyes pointing directly down. The benefit of this is that the gas bubble floats upwards and presses against the retina, ensuring that gentle pressure is applied to the retina to aid recovery. The same head rest can be adapted for use at night so that the patient can sleep face down, ensuring that the gas bubble is pressed against the retina overnight."

Answer by Bmat at 5:18 PM on Oct. 8, 2009