Is it safe to have a chest x-ray while 22 weeks pregnant without lead apron?

I did. I told doctor & they still did it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• thats weird. from my knowledge i thought you were not supposed to have x-rays during pregnancy. call you obgyn and make sure everything is ok.
    cusina48

Answer by cusina48 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It can pose a threat to the baby, but generally, it is safe. It's just the over-exposure to the radiation from X-rays that can harm anybody. If the doctor has good reason to order an X-ray, then by all means, do it.
    SpiderLizz

Answer by SpiderLizz at 10:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I am pretty sure you are not supposed to get xrays... not even at the dentist
    KatieFlower

Answer by KatieFlower at 11:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• and I'm not a medical professional or anything but if it turns out that wasn't safe and you told them you were pregnant I smell a biiiiig lawsuit...
    KatieFlower

Answer by KatieFlower at 11:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Wow..that is extremely strange. I couldn't even go into the room when they were doing an x-ray on my son's finger when I was pregnant. I agree with Katie..if something does go wrong, sue them!
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 12:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It's kind of a risk/benefit thing. It's not great to expose the fetus to lots of radiation, so any x-ray that is unnecessary, like at the dentist, can be postponed. However if it is important to get the x-ray, it is usually not going to harm the fetus.
    depsiua

Answer by depsiua at 6:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• No it is very dangerous for ur unborn baby with X-Ray cuz of exposue. I never did it before. I always told doctor that I am pregnant so they know it and never bring up about X-Ray.
    After baby born, u can do X-Ray anytime as needed.
    Talk to ur OB/GYN about it and I bet u that ur dr will get Mad! He/she will worry about ur unborn baby is exposure or other dangerous.
    X-Ray Tech should be FIRED!!!!!!!
    MochaGal

Answer by MochaGal at 8:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• ive had all thing done to me when i was pregnant and my sons all come out ok, one is a little bit slower than the rest but i blame that on the two surgeries i had when pregnant with him.
    sunshinex8

Answer by sunshinex8 at 3:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Your baby is not at any undue risk of defects or abnormalities after one x ray. It is with repeated exposure that there is a risk to your unborn. Unlike some other moms that have answered I am a medical professional and although it is prefered that you not have x rays while pregnant and you should have been wearing a lead vest, your baby is not at any more risk now then it was before as long as you don't have to have repeated x rays and NO you would not have a case for a lawsuit.
    misty1_sd

Answer by misty1_sd at 7:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• They have to do what they ahve to do in order to keep you and your unborn child safe under their care. 30-40 years ago, all pregnant women get x-ray to proof their pregnancy, so i don't think 1 x-ray can harm your unborn that much, but you certainly don't want another one.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2008