HIV/aids

Do you have it? Know anyone personally who does? How long have you/they had it? How has it affected your/thier life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Health

• My brother has been living with HIV for 8 years. He takes the protease inhibitor coctkail of drugs and has not developed AIDS. For those who don't know HIV and AIDS are two different things HIV is the virus. AIDS is the syndrome of illness' caused from untreated virus.
    Anonymous

• There was a guy on the floor below mine when I lived in the dorm in college who had HIV. Most of us knew. I was/am friends with his GF and they got married although they are still discussing if they want children or not. When I was close to her (we have drifted apart) they were not actually having intercourse for fear of her getting it. I have no idea if they are now. He got it through a blood transfusion but when I don't know. I never felt comfortable asking questions about it. Its his and then their business, not mine.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 6:22 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm a nurse and for one of my previous jobs, I took (home) care of every HIV infected child in my city. At that time there were 18 children under age 14 with HIV. As far as I know, only one of them has passed. That would make the youngest about 15 and the oldest about 25. One of them got it from his mom, who wasn't aware that SHE was infected until the child was diagnosed. At that time, she was pregnant again. She got it from her husband who died when the kids were very young. Mom went on to nursing school, but I have lost touch with her.
    Anonymous

• My uncle has it, he has had it for 13 + years, he was in the news papers cuz hes one of the longest living ppl who has had it, he stays in the right frame of mind and doesnt let it bring him down...he is a lot stronger than I could ever be
    Eveshalloween

Answer by Eveshalloween at 1:32 AM on Oct. 9, 2009