Why do American Families send the elderly to Nursing Homes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Many valid answers here, but I also find that in the United States, families are spread out all over a very large geographic area. (This is less common in other countries where many people care for their elderly parents.) So in the U.S. you will find families in one state and grandparents in another state that is very far away. Oftentimes, the elderly do not want to move away and experience such a drastic change late in their lives, and often end up in nursing homes for this reason.
    OrganicMermaid

Answer by OrganicMermaid at 7:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Convenience? Lack of knowledge on how to properly care for them? Good question. Many families are so focused on their children and careers that caring for an elderly parent isn't something that comes easy for them. The older I get the more I have concerns over this.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My mom cared for her father in her home, but her mother was placed in a nursing home because she needed 24 hour medical care. She had a massive stroke and was wheel chair bound. She had many, many mini strokes and health complications during the last 7 years of her life. She wouldn't have lived those 7 years without the immediate medical attention she received in the nursing home. The nursing home was less than a mile from my mother's house and she and my grandfather visited her every day and my grandfather ate lunch and supper with her almost daily.

Sometimes a nursing home is what's best because someone without medical training cannot provide the care necessary.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My parents worked fulltime and we were all teenagers with school and jobs. My Mom cried many nights because of putting her Mom into a nursing home. My Grandma had dementia and would walk around her house naked, answer the door to anyone and was having mini strokes, so she needed constant supervision. It was heartbreaking but until you're in the situation you can't judge someone for their decision.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Because they have confidence that the nursing home is taking better care of them than they could.

If something were to happen to my dad I would have no idea how to care for him properly, but I would find him an excellent facility with an excellent staff and visit him daily. I think he'd prefer that to living in my house with noisy kids anyway.

Is there something wrong with that?
    Anonymous

• i think keeping the sick and elderly home as a general rule ended when doctors in america stopped making house calls. we are the only country in which it is mostly unheard of anymore. and sometimes the old are so bad off that they need regular attention from a medical specialist. as far as the not so bad off elderly.. unless they have no surviving relatives then i think its a matter of selfishness on their childrens parts to not desire the return of favors.. their parent took care of them as a child and out of respect it should be expected they do the same if the parent is not capable of working or sustaining a house anymore. but our country is full of many fat narcissistic imitations of people.
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 6:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm disabled and live with my 21 year old son in his house. Would you like to date or start a family with a man that has to take care of a disabled mother?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• actually yes gaill. its a true test of character. it means he loves his family dearly and is willing to sacrifice for their well being! =)
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 6:15 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i was faced with this decision when i was 19, i had a baby and was pregnant, my father was dying from lung cancer and had a massive stroke. i attempted to care for him in my home and was doing ok until he had the massive stroke. he was placed into hospice (yet another decision left to me because he did not have a living will and i had to make the decisions since he couldnt) when he came home from the hospital after the massive stroke i knew after the first day i could not do it, my husband tried to help but he is in the army and had to work all day. i placed him into a nursing home 1 block from my home, he died 3 days later while i was there with him. it was one of the hardest decisions i have ever made in my life. i would hope no one would judge me but if they do i doubt they will judge me as hard as i had to judge myself.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• that's why i went into the medical field, so i can take care of my parents when they become unable to care for themselves, they have sacraficed alot to care for me so why not do the same for them?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 8, 2009