WAS WONDERING WHAT DUTIES DO YOU REALLY PERFORM AS A PHARMACY TECH. I'M GOIN TO SCHOOL FOR THIS AND SEEMS LIKE THERE IS A LOT I HAVE TO KNOW AND REMEMBER...

daisy1222

Asked by daisy1222 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Maybe you should have explored the job BEFORE deciding to go to school for it.
    Anonymous

• I am a pharmacy tech at a hospital. I never had to go to school for it though. Depending on what state you live in, maybe you can just get certified instead of going to school. At the hospital I work at, techs: Fill prescriptions, answer the phone. compound oral suspensions, make IVs, make chemotherapy, deliver meds, handle narcotics(only 3 of us are allowed to do that), fill pyxis machines, fill carts....There's much more. If you have any questions, just email me
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It depends on what your job setting is. I am a pharmacy technician (I also did not go to school for it). The company I worked for paid for all of my training, gave me the books, and paid for me to take the certification test. In a retail setting you would answer the phones, compound oral susp., enter scripts into the computer, deal with insurance companies, fill, inventory, order, etc. There is a lot to know and remember, but most of it comes in time. I learned on the job, so I didn't have to fill my head with unnecessary info (although I had to learn about stuff for the PTCB test that only applies to hospital settings).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm a pharmacy technician and also did not got o school for it, simple study from home can get you certified to work nationally.

Your eally should have investigated the job before enrolling into school.

Many times companies will have their own program they want you to go through for certification.

I was trained on the job 10 years ago, it really helps to have an interest is all and good grades in math and science.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• confusedDon't yell with the caps on.

Anonymous

• Daisy, you are the first step and last step in the patient's safety. What you do as a pharmacy tech affects each patient, just as a train engineer, or daycare provider. If you are good at what you do and really pay attention to the details and don't let little things distract you, you will be good at any job. Find something that is your passion. I once wanted to be a nurse or pharmacist, but deep down I knew that I wanted to be a stay at home mom. So look for your passion and then be the best at what you love!
    http://www.evelyn1.fourpointmoms.com
    MarieEvelyn

Answer by MarieEvelyn at 2:33 PM on Oct. 10, 2009

• everytthing they teach you in school is to prepare for the national exam. Im going to school right now for it. and there is a bill they are passing in 2010 that if your not certified/licensed then you have a certain amount of time to get that before they are legally allowed to fire you.
    Anonymous