My 5 year old is complaining his teeth hurt! Could he be getting ready to lose teeth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes this is around the time he loses them....
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It could be. It may also be big molars coming through id he doesnt already have three. Some kids are late in cuting the big ones.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It could mean he is getting a tooth, he has a lose tooth or he has a cavity.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• my kids never complained about pain when their teeth were loose, It could be a cavity .
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 9:20 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• At five years old they can have cavities. Depending on their diet, genetics and how much medication they had when their teeth were developing, he may need something fixed too. Its good to get them to the dentist before they start kindergarten for a cleaning and check up. I had a daycare child that needed five teeth filled and he was only 4 1/2.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Yes. I'm a Dental Assistant and we have seen that. Sometimes the baby tooth needs help coming out. They should definitely see the dentist twice a year by this age, though, so it wouldn't hurt to have your dentist take a look. If your child is scared, just tell them the dentist is going to count their teeth. The dentist will use an explorer and touch each tooth to check for cavities. They might also need to take x-rays..."pictures" of your childs teeth. If your child does have cavities and needs them filled and is very nervous, you can request them to use Nitrous Oxide (a.k.a. Laughing Gas) to relax them. They should also use topical gel anesthetic before the injection. I hope all goes well. Good luck. :)
    CJD62376

Answer by CJD62376 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2009