My 16 month old daughter always slept great in her crib. I would put her in at nap and bed time, and she would put herself to sleep and sleep through the night. The last few weeks, she has started waking up in the middle of the night screaming, and when I lay her down for naps she starts screaming. Why is she doing this suddenly? It's like she is scared of her crib or room now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my daughter did that, her sleep needs had started changing. We woke her up a half hour early, and she went down better for her nap. She adjusted to where the only overall change in her schedule was she went down for a nap 30 minutes later, and got up when she normally did. Basically, she needed less sleep than we were trying to give her.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• They go thru phases. She may be having nightmares or terrors...do you have a nightlight? if so, you may want to invest in a glo doll that they can also turn on themselves...walmart carries a seahorse that plays soft music and lights up for 15 minute intervals...we also (before the seahorse) had to put a radio in there....
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My guess would be teething. My youngest can go all day with barly an teething symptoms, but when I put her down she doesn't sleep and wakes at night. Many times she bites herself when teething, the inside of her cheek or lips. Then she wakes up screaming, I clean her up if it was bad and hold her till she calms down, give meds if it is time and put her back to bed. Try giving her a dose of Tylenol and see if that calms her down. Then you know.big smile mini

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• when my kids did this ( and sometimes my 14 month old still does) i just let them CIO. they'd always fell/fall asleep within minutes
    Anonymous

• Mine is going through this now. We are teething. I give motrin before bed, and if that doesn't work within 2 hours, I may have to use some benadryl to help her get to sleep otherwise she will scream until she pukes.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• wow coala your a sick person. why are you drugging your baby to the point of puking? CPS?
    Anonymous

• wow Anon 30 I don't think she said that she drugged her baby til she pukes she said OTHERWISE she would... but yeah not cool giving meds when not needed..(benadryl is for allergies)
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Anon---you must not be able to read very well. She said she will scream until she pukes. Why can't people read stuff properly before they bother responding. Idiots!
    Anonymous

• Geez, I'm new to this site and you guys are kind of harsh on each other. Try to remember we're all here for support. And for waking up during the night, I think it's a lot of everything. We just have to do our best to determine if it's from teething, needing to change sleep patterns, or nightmares. We've experienced all of the above, and it's just a matter of trying your hardest to watch for any clues. Especially teething, that can be determined by their awake behavior and then go from there. Good luck.
    MommaEm27

Answer by MommaEm27 at 1:12 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i say co sleep for a bit or play some music a tv maybe but it is definetly a phase
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:30 AM on Oct. 9, 2009