Milk causing anemia

Ok, i am gettign confused. My 15 month old daughter has been on regular milk since a year. She was on whole milk but then the doctor toldus to change her to two percent because she has always had a problem with constipation and we had to make other changes to her diet as well. Anyways took her in on Tuesday for well child visit and they drew blood to test for anemia. They said she was a little and told me to cut back her milk to no more that 24 ounces a day because that is what is causing it. When i asked what to give her in between i never really got an answer. Do i give pediasure, or water, or what? It is confusing because the clinic we go to , sometimes you don't always get to see your doctor . Another one will see her. And they all say somethig different. Like that one said to put her back on whole milk. And they gave us an iron prescription to get filled. Has anyone ever hear of milk causing anemia?

jaceyrayesmom

Asked by jaceyrayesmom at 6:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give water and no more than 24 oz of milk a day. They don't need as much milk as they needed with formula. My LO only gets 8oz a day b/c it causes constipation. It is the excess protien in the milk that causes it. To make sure your child gets enough calcium make sure she has a well balanced diet, b/c green veggies contain calcium.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Cow's milk is for baby cows. Toddlers don't need to drink any milk. According to the AAP they should drink only 4 ounces of juice. No soda, or any other drinks. Toddlers, like everyone else, should drink water.

If she has anemia she need to eat more food with iron or take vitamins. Iron is very important for brain growth in toddlers.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I forgot to mention if toddlers are still breastfeeding they are getting significant fluids from human milk and iron in an easy to digest form.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:53 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• when children drink to much milk they dont eat because they are full. Maybe they want you to limit milk so your child will have more of an appetite and eat more.
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 9:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I don't think milk can cause anemia...hmmm I had it as a child I tend to agree if they drink so much milk then they don't have room for food. My 18mos old really doesn't love milk so she mostly drinks water.
    Anonymous

• One thing you'll definitely need to add into her diet is vitamin C. Vitamin C helps the body absorb and use the iron. I'd suggest adding a bit of apple juice to her water. Orange juice is best -- just make sure her tummy can handle citrus before you do that! Water and diluted juice are the only things I give my dd aside from milk (when she wants it).
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 3:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2009