my little one

well my little boy has been constipated for about 2 days now. i cant seems to help him do any of you mommies know how i can help him? oh and he is 3 months old.

mommyofbrayd473

Asked by mommyofbrayd473 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try a little prune juice mixed with water and see if it will help.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Babies under 4 months shouldn't have prune juice or any food other than breastmilk or formula. Going 2 days without a stool is normal for a 3 month old breastfed baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• What are his symptoms? What is his diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• GAILLL is wrong, sorry. but they shouldnt have juice regularly until 4 months, but if theyre constipated, and juice, especially prune juice will help. just mix half juice and half water. 1-2 ounces should be plenty. thats what my daughters pediatrician said. pedialite will work if u already have some also.
    micahsmommy512

Answer by micahsmommy512 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If you are breast feeding it could be something you are eating.
    rjrambrocio

Answer by rjrambrocio at 9:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• prune Juice is fine. My 6 week old was very badly constipated and doc said 1/2 ounce prune juice and 1/2 ounce water 1-2 times a day till it got worked out. Call your doctor and see what they say. It is the natural sugars in juices like prune juice and apple juice that helps with the constipation.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:33 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• OK since you didn't answer my questions, I'm going to go ahead and post anyway, before you go giving your baby something they may not need. If you are EBF, and it's just that baby hasn't gone in a few days, that's OK. EBF babies can go up to 10 days, as long as when they DO go, it's not dry, hard or pellet like. So, if his ONLY symptom is not going, I wouldn't worry. If you FF, I don't know the limit on how long is safe, but I do know it's ok if they don't go EVERY day, again, as long as when he DOES go, it's not dry, hard or pellet like. At this age, especially if the bowel movements are soft, you shouldn't be going and giving juice, or meds, or suppositories to solve this. If you get back to this post, and answer my questions, I can probably help you a bit more. As for now, don't do anything yet. Give it a day or two. Unless he's passing dry, hard like, rabbit poo. Then, call the doctor.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• And, Gailll is RIGHT.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:19 AM on Oct. 9, 2009