• In the Spotlight:

Weight Gain

My baby is 2 weeks old. When we was born, he weighed 8 lbs 9oz, and a week later weighed 8lbs 3oz, which his pediatrician said was totally normal. At his check-up yesterday, he had only gained one more oz, making him 8lbs 4 oz. His Dr. said that they would have liked to see him up to his birth weight, but that this can also be fairly normal, and that she wouldn't be concerned unless he hadn't gained by next week. He's been eating about 2 1/2-3 ounces (I've been pumping due to latcing problems) every 2 1/2 hours, and shows all signs of getting enough to eat, so I'm not sure what else to do. Did anyone else's newborn have slow weight gain in the beginning? I've been worrying even though his Dr. said not to yet.....

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry. I'd just feed on demand. I would also seek out help with the latch issue, but if you want to continue on with pumping and bottlefeeding, that's fine as well.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2009