Anyone ever adopted while on PA?

I'm thinking of adopting DH's neice. I'm on PA while going to school but then I'll be off in a year. Do you think this will be a problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Adoption

• If your neice is being placed in the foster care system then yes. I have seen this happen. What would take place is you tell them you are interested and willing. What they would do is treat you like a foster placement. You would also get support because you are a foster family. This includes food stamps, money for clothes, money for utilities....the things foster parents pay towards. Then you go through the same process everyone else does. Like I said, I have seen this happen. And rather often. Many good families who are having financial hardship do take in young family members.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• How can you afford all the fees involved if you are on PA? Two years ago my DH adopted my son and it cost us between $2000 and $3000!

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It might be a problem, even though you have a very good reason for being on PA. Can you get legal guardianship until you graduate and start working? The courts will most likely question it if you try to complete an adoption right now. Best of luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Your intent is good but hey you need to get a job and get off of PA. Going to school and working is all about juggling your life. I see people do it all the time.
    Anonymous

• Thanks! It's not like I am planning on bringing another child into the world. She already exists and desperately needs someone to take care of her and love her.
    Anonymous

• OP, Frogdawg is a social worker. If she says it can be done, then I would take note of her advice. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I am confused, who is on PA, both you and your husband or just you somehow? You say you are on PA while going to school, what about your husband?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• He died last year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Sorry to hear that OP.
    If you think you are ready and no one else tries to take her first, I think you have a good shot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• OP, I am sorry that you are faced with this decision, especially since, losing your husband. I am with Frogdawg, on this one. However, you do not explain ANY of the many reasons your niece is being placed into this situation, therefore, going only on what YOU have given us to go this... is just NOT enough to be able to help with advice. There are way too many unsaid facts, in this scenario. I wish you the best, and please except my condolences, it is tough losing a husband, I lost my first husband to a car accident, when my son was 3 1/2 yrs old,so many Blessings, I send to you , C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2009