Benadryll during pregnancy, is it ok?

Ok so I think I may have a yeast infection from the progesterone insert that i've been using. Is it ok for me to take benadryll while pregnant or should i just stick to monistat over the counter?

LindaButler0507

Asked by LindaButler0507 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a million and one yeast infections while I was pregnant. they gave me Diflucan each time, but told me that I could use the seven day monistat. I didn't know, or think, that Benadryl helped treat a yeast infection.
    ABryn1011

Answer by ABryn1011 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Hello Linda,
    Everything you take crosses that barrier, what you take so does baby. Stick with the monistat!
    Kathleen2

Answer by Kathleen2 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My doc told me to take it to help me sleep, it was on the list of medications she gave me that were safe.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It's a category B drug

Which means Either animal-reproduction studies have not demonstrated a fetal risk but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women,        OR animal-reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect (other than a decrease in fertility) that was not confirmed in controlled studies in women in the first trimester (and there is no evidence of a risk in later trimesters).

You can read more about drug categories here: http://www.safefetus.com/fda_category.asp

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Category B's are generally considered pretty benign, for some relevance - tylenol is also category B
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:04 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Benadryl isn't going to help a yeast infection. Monistat is what you need for that. However, benadryl is perfectly safe during pregnancy.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• thank you so much everyone! I just figured that if i took benadryll then my baby would get sleepy too:| not sure if i was him/her sleeping so muich in my belly then coming out wanting to just pop out my coochie and run around with all kinds of energy.. hahah ..im only kidding.lol
    LindaButler0507

Answer by LindaButler0507 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I was told it was ok as long as I was out of the first trimester. I took it on and off to sleep with both my kids and they are fine
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 11:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2009