Anyone have a recipe for lemon filling?

I made a wedding cake last October for a friend of mine, and their top tier got damaged in her mom's freezer. :( Her husband just asked me to recreate it, and I agreed to, but I have one problem.

The lemon filling I used was store bought, and it was a LOT of it, plus is was over $10, and I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. I'm just making one 6 inch cake. I don't want lemon pudding, it was a lot like the jelly filling you'd find in a doughnut or something.

Does anyone have a good recipe for it?

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• go to epicurious.com for a good lemon curd recipe. it is fairly easy. I use the one from an Bon appetite,
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 8:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I was going to say exactly the same thing about a Lemon Curd recipe.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:19 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I looked at pics of lemon curd, and they all look too puddingy. Are they?
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• They shouldn't be Lemon curd is generally a bright yellow and relatively firm. Usually a little more firm than preserves woiuld be.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Lemon Curd

makes about a 1/2 cup

2 teaspoons lemon zest
    6 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 large egg, plus one large egg yolk
    3/8 cup vegetable glycerin
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits

In the top of a double boiler (if you don't have a double boiler, boil water in a larger pot and place a smaller pot or heatproof bowl above it), combine the lemon zest and juice, egg and yolk and vegetable glycerin over gently simmering water.
    Whisk together until thoroughly hot, about 5 minutes.
    Whisk in the butter bit by bit and continue whisking until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
    Remove from heat and cool.
    Store in the refrigerator.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Answered at 8:27 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 by: * GrnEyedGrandma GrnEy... They shouldn't be Lemon curd is generally a bright yellow and relatively firm. Usually a little more firm than preserves would be.

It might be the preserves that I need to make then. If it has butter in it, it'll be too creamy.

corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Get a jar of lemon curd-it is sold with the jams & jellies. A 12 oz jar (enough for a 6 inch cake) is about $3
    bocamom62

Answer by bocamom62 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2009