Hysterectomy vs. Tubal?

I am a 31 yr old mother of one that is planning on having one other child, then I want to be sterilized. I am trying to decide between a hysterectomy or a tubal. I would like to get others opinions on this. Which would you choose and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Health

• how can you choose a hysterectomy?that is done for medical reasons.or did you mean a tubal or a vasectomy? vasectomy over tubal.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I would not choice a hysto unless it was needed. The ovaries will still be there for hormones etc..with a tubal Also a hysto is major surgery and the recover is a few weeks longer than a tubal. I had my tubes done almost 8 years ago and have no regrets. I do have bad periods the first day but other than that, I have no problem.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• It would be hard to imagine a doctor doing a hysterectomy strictly for birth control reasons. It seems even less likely insurance would cover it under those circumstances. A tubal is a very effective procedure. Other options along that line is the Essure procedure.  When the uterus is removed the vaginal space is shortened somewhat and issues with dryness and irritation are common.

http://www.essure.com/

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• A hysterectomy is major abdominal surgery no matter how whichever organs are removed. I had a tubal. A tubal is a fast method to stop pregnancy. A hysterectomy can affect hormones physically and emotions and a tubal more often might affect our emotions. Meaning about the tubal, it can free us emotionally realizing that the chance of pregnancy is much lessened to zero now.

My tubal was done during my cesarean. I didn't have any additional pain or discomfort from it. After my six week check up when we started sex again we used spermicide and condoms for about four months just for extra security at first.

Why would you want a hysterectomy as birth control, that can affect more parts of your body hormonally and physically, emotionally than just a tubal.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I seriously doubt any reputable doctor would perform a hysterectomy purely for sterilisation.  It is major surgery which can send you into premature menopause. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2009