so i'm taking parenting classes

and my SO is getting mad at me.. over them

what gives?

Jewels1986

Asked by Jewels1986 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Cause his freakin pride is hurt you don't trust his skills whatever level they are children of his own or not. Tell him good that you know so much from what you see there's more to learn, come with you to classes to be the best.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• He has faith in the both of you! you don't need parenting classes. There is no manual or guide to be a parent. No such thing as perfect parents, kids, labor, or pregnancy. Just go with the flow and let your intuition and motherly instincts guide you.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I'm not sure what gives. You have to ask. Be willing to listen and not jump to conclusions. It could be he sees you and he are good parents, he is raising the kids the best he knows how (the way his parents raised him) and sees no reason to change. If it worked for him...then its good enough for the kids - as the saying goes. Its great you are taking classes and I bet you can share some of your skills and knowledge with other parents there. That is what is great about classes. They tend to be support groups for parents who really do want to learn and be better at their most important job. Share with your husband that you also share the good parts of your parenting skills with others and learning what works for others. If he is still mad - I would continue to go but not discuss it. Just role model by your actions your new skills/techniques and he can learn by watching. Good luck and have fun.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:09 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• way to goIDK but I'm proud of you. More parents should take those classes. It's not like we wake up one day and know good parenting stuff.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I took parenting classes while I was pregnant with my son, the father came too. But like the mom above me said it was more of a "support group" for parents we all shared a common interest to be good parents. Everyone in the class were already parents so to be there they gave me advice on if I do "this", "this" will happen. Which really helped me as a first time parent. You know the saying you always mess up your first kid, thats what I avoided lol
    Mommy2Be172009

Answer by Mommy2Be172009 at 5:05 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Men are funny like that. My style is to research everything, read everything, and study. DH seems to think that just because I'm reading it, I agree with it, which is not the case. I'm just a learner personality where he is a wing-it kind of guy. I'm the analytical, anal-retentive, type A, while DH is the laid-back, relaxed, type B. I think the beauty of it is that DS is exposed to both kinds of personalities, their positive and negative aspects. Hopefully he'll find the balance of the two when he grows up.
    Does he feel like you are offering your new parenting advice and being critical of his style of parenting? If so, maybe just try some of the techniques rather than saying anything. If the new techniques are working and he sees it, maybe he'll just adopt them because they work, rather than being told to do them.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Fear

Answer by rkoloms at 11:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2009