Why do so many bible believing Christians NOT believe in modern day demonic influence or possesion?

I find this rather surprising since there are several accounts in the bible about encounters with people that were possesed by demons. Some of the demons caused the person they inhabited to act crazy and others caused deafness and blindness. Jesus and His disciples cast demons out numerous times. Is it that we all have visions from the Excorcist in our heads that we can't come to terms with or what? Now I am by no means saying that all illness, disease, wrongdoings, etc can be attributed to demons BUT it does happen. And I certainly don't believe that everyone that lays on the floor in a Pentecostal church and twitches is possessed but again, it does happen. I have witnessed demonic influence and I believe I am witnessing demonic possession in a friend who recently tried to commit suicide. One minute he is coherent the next he is writhing, kicking, eyesrolling, etc. Cont'd.....

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 8:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe that many people share the same views that sahmamax2. There are many who believe so much in advancement and science that there are things that are missed. I think that there is always more to everything than we can see. The simple truth is that there is only so much that can be proven when it comes to the human brain, to the spirit, and to just about all of life and death. So many times we think we have the answers when all we end up with is more questions. How do we know that demons do not imitate chemical imbalances in some cases?
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Doesn't anyone realize that the same demons that walked the earth 2000 years ago are the same ones that walk around today? Jesus believed in demons and that's good enough for me to believe as well.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Those so called "demons" were people who were mentally ill and they weren't educated enough to know the difference. We know now, more about the brain and how it works. It is not demons, it is chemical imbalances in the brain.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I believe in both persons with chemical imbalances and persons who've opened the door and succumbed to demon influence/possession. If it was as simple as a chemical imbalance, why did the examples of exorcisms in the bible immediately return to their previous unafflicted selves?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I also believe that demons walk the earth, and furthermore, I am confused at your question as every Christian that I know most certainly does believe this, too.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 9:11 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Windy I beleive .. the reason many dont is because the demons themselves are spreading that deception and it is sad. Its very real.. former satanist will tell you that or former drug addicts and so forth. Its so real but people do not want to believe !
    Sahmax and how do you know that it isnt the chemical imbalances being caused by the demons themselves???
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Because demons are not real. We have science that studies the brain and can show chemically how it works AND how to fix it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:17 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• To answer your question, EDC, my friends brother is a Christian, believes in Jesus, but says he just can't come to terms with the thought of demonic influence or possession. He said it was too "exorcist" for him.

Again, I reiterate...I believe in both chemical imbalances and demonic possession. They are two separate things, or maybe in some instances they are one in the same. Some people are set free from their mental afflictions with the proper medications, some never are.

For Christians who do NOT believe in demons, do you believe the bible is the infallible word of God?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:26 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• "For Christians who do NOT believe in demons, do you believe the bible is the infallible word of God? "

I believe it is the Word of God as written by Man. Which unfortunately makes the book fallible. God is never fallible, but WE are.

I think many of the accounts of demons are how things were understood at the time the Scriptures were written. "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. "

We are still growing in our understanding of God. We cannot presume to know exactly what he means any more than our toddlers can understand a lecture in particle physics....right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• But surely, Jesus, as the Son of God, would recognize a demon when He saw one, right? If He cast them out, per the separate accounts of many witnesses, then couldn't we safely come to the conclusion that they do, indeed, exist? It wasn't the speculation of others that came to the conclusion of demon possession, it was Jesus Himself in most instances.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:03 PM on Oct. 8, 2009