5 wk old not sleeping during the day, always eating

My daughter is 5 weeks old and doesn't sleep much during the day. We will go to bed around 10-11 at night and she will wake up around 3-5am, then wake up every 2 hours after that to nurse. I will get out of bed around 9:30-10am. After waking up, she will stay awake for 15-20 mins before getting fussy then she will nurse for about an hour. She will fall asleep while nursing and when I put her down, she will only sleep for about 10-30 mins... then the cycle repeats.

My questions are:
1. How can I get her to sleep more during the day?
2. She has been spitting up a large amount of breast milk about once a day- projectile vomit, about an ounce. Other than that, she spits up maybe every other feeding- just a small amount. Cause for any concern? She is gaining weight fine.
3. Am I possibly not producing enough milk to satisfy her through out the day?

THANKS

shannonwooten

Asked by shannonwooten at 9:32 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1. You don't. She's actually doing MARVELOUSLY! Exactly what you want. She's designed to do JUST THIS.

2. Could be one of several things:
    a. Reaction to dairy in your diet
    b. Reaction to overactive letdown
    c. Spit happens!
    The first two can be compensated for, the third is outgrown. The dairy fix is for mom to eliminate it...improvement in a week or so. The letdown fix is a position switch...check out the "fast letdown" article on kellymom.com. The third...requires patience.

3. Are you changing 6-8 dipes a day? If so, your supply is dandy.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2009