Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have u ever giving Temporary Custody to a family member?

My sister wants to take temporary custody of my kids until i get a place to live and i get a job. I dont know anything about it and im not so sure i feel right about it. I dont like her having my kids bc they are my kids but i do need to get on my feet. Im scared that she might take them or trick me into giving her full custody. I really dont know what to do! my kids mean everything to me and if i do get them taking i have NOTHING! I also dont want my kids father to know anything about this, but he will have to sign too. I dont want him to use this in court against me to try and get the kids. I dont know if he can or not. Any advice would help. (dont know if this matters but he hasnt had them in 2 yrs. And didnt sign my sons birth certificate)


Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I gave my dad temp custody of my children for a year. I was going through a nasty divorce and I wanted them safe. He was going to keep them while I finished school. He lived in another state so he needed the paperwork so he could get them medical help if needed and in schools, etc. Temporary custody requires a deadline date so even if she wanted to keep them she'd have to give them back by the deadline date. I quit school and went to my dad's house 8 months early but I couldn't leave the state with the kids until the deadline date.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:00 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • Is there anyway you can also move in with your sister until you save up enough money for your own place? Are you in danger of CPS taking the children if you don't have your sister take temporary custody? Juist make sure to do it legally and carefully read EVERY WORD before signing anything. This may be the best thing for your children, carefully weigh the options.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • If you give your sister custody you would have to, most likely, hire an attorney to go to court and gain custody back. That is if she was going to be a road block and thought you are not stable enough to care for your children. Just a thought: why won't she provide care for your children without you signing over custody? You can give her what is called health care power of attorney (you don't loose your say) and power of attorney over your children. You still maintain custody but in your absence she can make legal and health care decisions for them.  This way when you are on your feet again there is no question who legally provides care for those children.  You do.


    Answer by frogdawg at 9:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • I would definitely not do this. If she wants to help, why can't she take you all in? She doesn't need to be able to make the decisions for your children, which is what giving her temp custody would do. It sounds like she has some kind of ulterior motive.

    Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:58 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • ???
    She can take in multiple small children, but she cannot take YOU? Strange.

    I would talk to Legal Aid.

    Answer by happytexasCM at 10:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

  • OP:She wants temp custody bc shes in another state and it will allow her to get wic medicaid and foodstamps for them. If she doesnt have that then she cant get anything for them. CPS is not after me my kids are healthy and not in any harm. My parents decided to kick me out. I had no where to go so im with a friend. I cant live with her bc i just canceled all my DSS stuff up there to open it down here bc i can get housing. Up there, there isnt any housing. So no i cant go up there! my sister cant afford me or my kids thats y she wants temp custody but her bf is also helping and he doesnt agree with helping adults bc adults should be able to get things on their own.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

Next question in General Parenting
so i'm taking parenting classes

Next question overall (Just for Fun)