Heat

What's better. Keeping the doors around the house ( bathroom door and bedroom doors closed while the heat is on or keep them open?

jilligan362

Asked by jilligan362 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I think keeping them open.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:47 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think it would depend on what type of heat source you have and if it is adequate to heat your home. We have boiler baseboard heating, which means that hot water runs through copper pipes in the baseboards all through the house, so it doesn't matter much if doors are open or closed b/c the heat travels from room to room regardless.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:57 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If doors are open, heat will distribute more evenly around the house. That said, if the heating system distributes heat pretty evenly, it may make no real difference.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Well, if you want to keep the individual bedrooms warmer then keep the doors closed. Even without the heat turned on yet my room is usually 5 or more degrees warmer then the rest of the house simply because I keep the door shut.
    When we lived in our apt we had radiator heat and I always kept my bedroom door shut. The rest of the apt. was 60F (we couldn't afford to set it any higher and we were always freezing) but my room was at least 70F most of the time because the heat stayed in the room.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2009