Can you be a foster parent if you get food stamps?

My sisters child got taken away from her. We don't want to see him go to strangers. I am the only one in the family qualified (Due to others having disability or not enough time) but I get food stamps, I don't know if this will disqualify me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Adoption

• they should not do u work and make a income? talk to ur case manager and they can tell u ..... good luck
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• If your sister's child is a caucasian baby or toddler, CPS will fight tooth and nail to keep the child so they can adopt the child out and make their federal bonuses.

Food stamps shouldn't mean you're incapable of taking in your own niece/nephew....fight for that child and don't let CPS bully you (they can and most likely will).
    Anonymous

• My nephew is white, 2 1/2 years old.
    Anonymous

• There are federal bonuses for removing infants and toddlers from their extended biological relatives? That is sick.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 11:08 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• A friend of mine has a son she adopted via privately. His parents were involved with CPS. The grandparents and parents agreed to let her adopt the boy. CPS tried fighting the adoption and actually told the adoptive mom that since the boy was under four years old and white, he was a "hot commodity".

Don't get me wrong, there are agencies and workers who are trying to do what is best for the children.....but there are many who are now only seeing dollar signs. Kentucky, Florida....just to name a few, have all been under fire for their practices. Even Seattle, too.
    Anonymous

• They should try and place him with family. Not really sure about the food stamps though. But call and let them know you want to take the child.
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 1:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• it depends. food stamps are given according to the size of your family and the income you have comin g into your house hold. if you are qualified now, then you should be able to continue recieving it. your best bet is to meet with your state and let them tell you yay or nay.
    Elisheba

Answer by Elisheba at 2:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• OMG... please ignore the reverse racism here. You can likely take the child, I dont know if you will get paid as a foster parent but keeping your nephew is the most important thing. Usually the first time the child is removed, it is temporary.
    Family members always get the child first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• You should have no trouble getting the child. You would more than likely get some assistance for the child anyway. We make a good income but we get assistance for the three Foster children in our care. We have adopted two out of Foster Care and still get help to pay for their therapies and what not. Kids in Foster Care are not hot commodities many don't want to adopt them since they see them as damaged goods. Don't let the adoption hating troll scare you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• Where is this "adoption hating troll" at? I dont see anyone hating on adoption.
    Anonymous