Open question to ALL religions & beliefs.....What are your thoughts/views on suicide?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 10:06 PM on Oct. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• WOW. Seriously, WOW. I can't believe how completely callous some of you can be. Especially those who claim to have dealt with depression themselves. I'm Bipolar and anyone the least bit educated about mood disorders should know that even when they begin as a result of a specific situation, if it persists untreated it can actually alter the neurological pathways in your brain. Just like therapy and medication can reroute your pathways in a positive way. Someone is a fool for being sick? Really, wow. So glad most people have for more empathy, understanding, and KNOWELDGE on the topic. It's just funny how people who are depressed for a brief time think they are experts. Or that believe because it passed for them, that it does for everyone. Do you know how many people are chronically depressed due to medical illness? It's just sad how many people spread ignorance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Oct. 9, 2009

• i think it's terrible when i hear about suicide. a best friend of mine committed suicide last year. he was an atheist, but was on drugs at that time and very depressed and stressed out. the reason I say "but" is because as an atheist, he embraced each day trying to appreciate everything around him. I really miss him. Some consider suicide selfish, some believe those who commit suicide "go to hell", but I think the person who did it just wasnt in the right state of mind. something "clicked".
    Anonymous

• its the easy way out... and not always is the easiest path the right one to take. though personally i do support euthanasia for the terminally ill... i dont feel that they should suffer unless they want to.
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 10:12 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• For the family left behind, it is HORRIBLE. The family suffers most. My heart goes out to the children, spouses, siblings, and parents of suicides. Regardless of belief system, more people need to be aware of the important role they can play in helping people in need. Thank you for posing the question to give people the chance to think about loved ones who may need help right now.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• I think that it is being a coward. And that it is a total slap in the face to the Creator of life.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:13 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• My thoughts on it vary by the situation. I think people that do some horrid crime & then do themselves in once cornered by the cops are cowards, but not everyone.

Does anyone here think those that jumped from the WTC were cowards?

Does anyone here think that when a child who is repeatedly raped & beaten by her own father --- and keeps getting returned to that house & that father because of a "broken system" - finally has enough & hangs herself is a coward?

Do you think that a widower who gets in a wreck & then has to watch his only daughter burn alive in the vehicle she's trapped in while waiting for help to arrive is a coward when he ends it all?

I REALLY hope not.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Laura, I don't personally think it is a cowardly way out all the time. I agree with your first example as that being the actions of a coward. I think it is circumstantial and per a case by case basis and agree that your other examples are not those of a coward.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:29 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• i feel sorry that they couldnt/didnt receive the help the so badly needed.

many who commit suicide are mentally unstable & see suicide as the only way to stop the depression, anxiety, hallucinations, etc. some ppl just cant handle it anymore & dont know where to turn. those who arent mentally ill often are faced with things most of us have never had to deal w/.

i dont think those who commit suicide are going to Hell.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:42 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

• Honestly, I think it is horribly sad that someone would get to the point where they feel that killing themselves is the best thing they can do. I do think that many suicides could have been prevented if the people had gotten help, whether they found it themselves or been offered by those around them who saw the signs. But all in all, I think it's a tragedy that hurts everyone in the situation, especially the loved ones left behind.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2009

THIS
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 8, 2009